Proposed legislation stresses technology in Student Senate

During its weekly meeting Tuesday, the Student Senate discussed a legislation that would extend the time allotted between classes from 10 to 15 minutes.

Shanitah Young presented the bill to the senate, explaining the fact that it is difficult for students to attend wellness classes at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports, and then walk to a different class in ten minutes.

During the debate many concerns were acknowledged including, the scheduling of classes, pushing classes later into the day and accreditation issues.

The resolution was tabled indefinitely.

However Young does not plan on giving up.

“The campus is only going to get bigger and we need to be able to accommodate our students and out professors,” she said.

Young plans to further research the bill and provide the senate with answers to all of its concerns.

A resolution was also passed requesting the addition of computers to the Scholar’s Den.

The legislation stipulates providing a Mac and a PC for the students who utilize the Scholar’s Den.

The senate also passed a resolution requesting the creation of a specialized learning support system for graduate students.

Savannah Stephens and Secretary Martha Pool presented a resolution requesting an online Perunanet tech support button.

“What this would do is create a button right on the interface of the website so you can click the button and let them know when there is a problem,” Stephens said.

The resolution acknowledges that past problems with Perunanet have stemmed from a breakdown in communication between OIT and students, and intends to fill that gap.

Another resolution was brought to the senate concerning student senate scholarships that would provide scholarships for summer classes and summer study abroad programs.