Knost impressive at Byron Nelson

IRVING – “You’re wearing an SMU shirt. How’s that kid doing today?” one nameless DART shuttle passenger said early Sunday morning. “I heard he’s having one heck of a week.”

That would probably be an understatement.

In a tournament where the passing of the tournament’s namesake, poor conditions on the greens and a lack of marquee names were the big storylines, SMU senior Colt Knost was the feel-good story of the 2007 EDS Byron Nelson Championship.

The Cinderella tale concluded just before noon on Sunday, when Knost birdied No. 16 and 18. He finished plus-4 on the day and plus-6 for the tournament, beating out among others Sergio Garcia.

“Vijay [Singh] and Sergio came up to me earlier in the week,” Knost said. “They … and everyone else [were] so nice with what they said.”

Knost became the talk of the tournament when he made the cut Friday, shooting a record-low 6-under par 64. It is the lowest round shot by an amateur in the tournament’s history. The round also made Knost the first amateur to make the cut since Justin Leonard qualified when he attended the University of Texas in 1993.

Knost played a practice round with Leonard on Tuesday, calling the session invaluable. Leonard continued to help him throughout the tournament with advice or suggestions.

The gallery following Knost Friday was one of the largest of the day – rivaling those of the featured players on the PGA Tour. Knost’s family, SMU teammates and friends, people from back home in Pilot Point and strangers cheered him on to a record score.

“I got chills,” said Knost’s caddie, SMU teammate and senior Brandon DeStefano. He said the first loud roar from the gallery came after Knost birdied No. 11, with fans yelling out “Go SMU” and “Go Colt” for the rest of the round.

Knost had an eagle and six birdies on Friday – putting him in the top 20 at the end of the second day.

“It’s unbelievable all the attention I got,” Knost said. He said the highlight was being interviewed for the Golf Channel’s coverage of Friday’s round. Knost was also featured in The Dallas Morning News and Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Knost’s play was even more remarkable considering he had to win a qualifying tournament to make the field. He won a playoff last Monday at Timarron Country Club to qualify for the Nelson.

“I’m just tickled to death,” said his mother, LuAnn of the experience. She said the week was way above any expectations she had.

“A dream come true for him and for me,” she said.

Colt’s season with the SMU team is still going. He missed the opening day of the Conference USA Golf Championships in Texarkana Sunday. Knost joins his team Monday and Tuesday, where the Mustangs will try to earn their fourth straight conference title.