First Amendment

Freedom of speech even applies to unpopular points of view

As of late, it seems that many U.S. citizens are labeling war protestors “anti-American.” President Bush has scathingly written off war protestors as “focus groups.” Surely our fellow citizens realize that protesting the war is one of the most American things you can do. We are fighting this war in part to protect and preserve “American ideals,” are we not? Ed Board thought it might be time to reacquaint the general public with the First Amendment – namely, the right to speak and assemble freely and peaceably.

First, let’s remove the war from the issue. Let’s take something simple, like wearing what you want to high school – at least those of us who were lucky enough to avoid that whole uniform thing.

Recently, 35 high school students were suspended in Beaufort, S.C., for wearing shirts featuring the Confederate flag.

Yes, the Confederate flag is offensive to some and does allude to slavery in the pre-Civil War South. But these were not vulgar T-shirts covered in profanity, sexually provocative images or advocating the Aryan Nation.

One student wore a white T-shirt with chickens hatching from eggs decorated with the Confederate flag. Emblazoned above the image is the phrase, “Southern chicks, better than the rest.”

At what point did this offend or interfere with high school? This student was only stating her Southern pride. What if a student wants to wear a T-shirt advocating creationism and not evolution? Is that offensive?

What about a shirt featuring a gay character from “Dawson’s Creek”? Is that interfering with high school?

No complaints were lodged against the 35 students wearing the T-shirts.

Beaufort school administrators did say that one student, who has since left the school, wore a Confederate flag T-shirt previous to the suspensions while handing out pamphlets trying to recruit members for the Aryan Nation.

But none of the other students suspended were doing anything of the sort.

Does Ed Board think Southern high schools should fly the Confederate flag? No. But should students, or anyone for that matter, be allowed to wear the Confederate flag on their person? Yes.

It’s a matter of free expression, and it’s a right that is inherently American.