Rogers drafted by Patriots

SMU defensive end taken in the sixth round
Rogers was a team captain for the 2006 Mustangs during his senior season at SMU.
John Schreiber

Rogers was a team captain for the 2006 Mustangs during his senior season at SMU. (John Schreiber)

SMU senior Justin Rogers is going pro.

The New England Patriots selected Rogers in the sixth round of the NFL draft on Sunday.

The 6’4″ graduate from Commerce High School in Greenville anchored the Mustangs’ defense this past season with a team-leading 9.5 sacks. Rogers also had 59 tackles on the season, 15 of those for a loss, and he also forced two fumbles. Rogers earned a place on the All Conference-USA First team roster.

In preparation for the draft, Rogers worked out in two pro days for professional scouts. One was held on campus at SMU and the other was at the University of Texas-Arlington.

“I talked to numerous teams that were interested,” Rogers said. Several teams said that they were looking to either take him in the late rounds of the draft or to sign him as an undrafted free agent. Rogers also spent a day working out with the Cowboys.

Yesterday Rogers talked with Patriots’ head coach Bill Belichick and owner Robert Kraft about what to expect and scheduling information for the next few weeks.

Over the next couple of days he will be sent a playbook and is expected to report for the Patriots’ mini-camp on May 11 that will last until early June.

But Rogers still plans on graduating with a degree in economics.

Even after talking to several teams who expressed interest in him, Rogers “was a little pessimistic about [being drafted].” Not knowing whether he would be taken in the draft or singed later as a free agent, “it was a little bit of a surprise,” Rogers said. “But it is such a blessing to have been drafted by the Patriots.”

Rogers’ sixth rounds selection was the first time a SMU player has been taken in the NFL draft since 2003 when Kevin Garrett was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the fifth round.