Women’s track finishes regular season

The SMU track and field team wrapped up its regular season this weekend, competing in both the Drake Relays and the Sooner Invitational.

On Friday, the Mustangs took two fourth-place finishes in Des Moines, Iowa, at the Drake Relays. Senior Alesha Stegemoller posted a mark of 1.75 meters in the high jump while teammate Andrea Kvetova, a junior, notched a season-best throw of 252.19 meters in the javelin.

In Norman, Okla., on Saturday, more than 10 SMU athletes competed in the Sooner Invitational. Standout senior Gaelle Niare appeared in more than five events and took first place in the high jump with a finish of 1.80 meters. Her jump matches her season-best record.

Sophomore Christina Mueller earned a season-best mark in the discus event with a throw of 49.15 meters, which was also good enough for third place.

Mustangs Jessica Jackson and Krystal Rodriguez placed third and fourth, respectively, in the 1500-meter run. Jackson finished with a time of 4:44.53 while Rodriguez turned in a time of 4:47.76.

SMU begins post-season competition at the C-USA championships in Houston on May 9.