SMU details drug task force

18 faculty, staff, students on committee

SMU has announced the membership of a drug task force created in the wake of three drug and alcohol deaths this past school year.

The Task Force on Substance Abuse Prevention is composed of 18 faculty, staff and student members.

Dean of Student Life Dee Siscoe and Associate Provost Tom Tunks are the co-chairs of the committee, according to information on the official university website. They have until December 2007 to make recommendations to President R. Gerald Turner.

“Although putting one’s welfare at risk is ultimately a decision by the individual, and students expect to be treated as adults,” Turner said in a prepared release, “we as a University are committed to doing all that we can to encourage good decision-making, to help students if they err and to adjudicate those who continue to transgress.”

The task force will review existing programs, academic scheduling, attendance policies and regulations regarding residence halls and Greek housing. It will also examine national trends in behavior and substance abuse.

The Daily Campus has requested interviews with members of the task force and will update the story later this week.

Task Force on Substance Abuse Prevention – Members

Co-chair – Dee Siscoe, Dean of Student LifeCo-chair – Tom Tunks, Associate Provost

Faculty

Dennis Foster, Department of EnglishGary Mascowitz, Cox School of BusinessDennis Simon, Department of Political ScienceLaura Steinberg, School of Engineering

Administrators

Doug Hallenbeck, Director of Residence Life and Student HousingJohn Sanger, Alcohol and Drug Abuse PreventionTony Tillman, Enrollment Services (Retention)John Kalb, Institutional ResearchPatti LaSalle, Public AffairsRick Shafer, SMU Chief of Police

Students

Josh Camp, Interfraternity Council presidentAbby Steffler, Panhellenic Association presidentKatherine Tullos, student body presidentShay Taylor, Mustang Corral student directorDaniel Liu, student member of the SMU Board of Trustees Student Affairs Committee