Stiles’ parents want answers

Cite text messages that provide additional information

Six months after their son was found dead in the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house, Jacob Stiles’ parents are demanding answers from SMU officials. Their pleas are similar to those made earlier this week by the father of Meaghan Bosch, who was found dead in a portable toilet outside of Waco on May 14.

In a release sent to The Daily Campus and other Dallas and Chicago area media, the family says SMU has not shared any information regarding leads in the case.

The Stiles cite text messages received on Jacob’s cell phone that suggest their son may have been supplied the drugs from a fraternity brother.

Jacob’s father, Tom, said some of the messages include references to “snow” use at the SAE house on the night of Dec. 1, 2006. Jacob was found dead in his room the afternoon of Dec. 2. The cause of his death was a lethal cocktail of expensive prescription pain killer fentanyl, cocaine and alcohol, according to a report from the Dallas County Medical Examiner.

One message specifically indicates, according to the father, the provider of the lethal drugs. He believes Jacob may not have known what drug he was taking, citing a text message that refers to a different drug name.

The family said SMU Police had the cell phone for one month and had reviewed the messages as early as Dec. 5.

“Now we know that the drug that killed our son may have been supplied by a member of the fraternity, and SMU seems to refuse to do anything about it,” Tom Stiles said in the written statement.

SMU Executive Director of Public Affairs Patti LaSalle said that the university would forward any questions about the investigation to SMU Police.

“Obviously each allegation will be looked into,” she said, adding that the school is still deeply saddened by his death.

SMU announced earlier this week the creation of a drug task force that will be headed up by Dean of Student Life Dee Siscoe and interim Provost Tom Tunks.

Since Jacob’s death, the family said they have been informed of drug use by the SAE’s.

He claims that hazing was a part of the fraternity’s initiation, “random drugging of pledges’ drinks” was a common practice and the fraternity’s drug dealer and location are well-known.

“It soon became evident that the University and fraternity officials, including a representative from the chapter’s national headquarters, wanted to close the book on the incident,” Tom Stiles said.

The family also said that no one has been held accountable for the death of their son.

The Daily Campus was unable to confirm Stiles’ claim due to the late hour, but at this point no fraternity member has been publicly disciplined by SMU and the chapter has not subject to any actions by the university.

“We accept the fact that Jacob made the wrong and unfortunate choice to take these drugs,” Tom Stiles concluded in the release. “However, we don’t understand why SMU has not aggressively investigated the case and has not been forthcoming with the media and our family. All we ask is that the University discloses the truth and that those involved in our son’s death be held accountable.”

Stiles was the first of three drug-related deaths at SMU this year. He was a sophomore from Naperville, Ill., which is a suburb of Chicago.

First-year student Jordan Crist died from acute alcohol poisoning. He was found unconscious in a room on the third floor of Perkins Hall two days before final exams this spring. Crist had a blood alcohol level of 0.4 – five times the legal limit.