A change in tides for ‘Pirates’ fourth installment

Photo Courtesy of The Associated Press
In this film publicity image released by Disney, Johnny Depp, left, Penelope Cruz, right, and Ian McShane, background are shown in a scene from, Pirates of the Caribbean

In this film publicity image released by Disney, Johnny Depp, left, Penelope Cruz, right, and Ian McShane, background are shown in a scene from, Pirates of the Caribbean (Photo Courtesy of The Associated Press)

Johnny Depp reprises his most famous role as Captain Jack Sparrow in the new, soon- to- be summer smash, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.”

While Depp may be returning to one of Hollywood’s most successful franchises, Keira Knightley, who starred as Elizabeth Swann in the previous three installments, is a no show for the new film.

Replacing Knightley is the sultry Spaniard, Penelope Cruz. Cruz, who plays newcomer Angelica, is also presumed to be Jack Sparrow’s love interest in the film. In fact, the plot suggests that the two have had a previous romantic encounter before running into each as pirates.

While not much reason was given for Knightley’s departure, the film is still garnering rave reviews from critics worldwide.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” follows Sparrow and his motley crew as they search for the fabled, Fountain of Youth.

Though the film stays within its classic style of delivering action and adventure through the medium of cinematically stunning ship battles and sword fights, ‘On Stranger Tides’ also gets help from a new source of intrigue-mermaids.

Even though the ‘Pirates’ series is owned under the Disney wing, don’t let the mouse ears fool you- these mermaids are a far departure from Ariel.

Penned as shark-like females that feed on helpless pirates, the mermaids are another obstacle for Sparrow to conquer on his conquest for eternal youth. Flying through the air and bursting out of the water, these mermaids definitely don’t take orders from a talking crab.

The franchise’s director Gore Verbinski is hoping to continue his successful run at the box-office with “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.”

Verbinski,’s earlier release this year, the animated feature “Rango,” which also starred Depp, earned good reviews from the critical mass and managed to do quite well at the box office.

Considering that the ‘Pirates’ franchise has grossed an estimated $2.6 billion with its earlier films, “On Stranger Tides,” could be looking to make like pirates and cash in on a predicted $80 million to $100 million opening weekend.

With screenplays already rumored to be completed for the series’ fifth and sixth installments, it seems as if America can’t get enough of the sparsely sober Sparrow.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” opens nationwide Friday.