Egenholf claims diving crown at UT invite

The women’s swimming and diving team sent just one representative to Austin for last weekend’s University of Texas Invitational, but she was able to put the Mustangs on the board without any assistance.

Junior Audra Egenholf won Saturday’s platform diving event with a score of 298.30, nearly 30 points ahead of runner-up Maren Taylor of the UT Longhorns.

Earlier in the week, Egenholf placed second behind Taylor in both the preliminary and final rounds of the 1-meter diving event. She also came in fifth in the 3-meter event to finish the weekend with 51 points.

The SMU men’s and women’s diving teams will each take some time away from competition before heading to Athens, Ga., Jan. 3-5 for the Georgia Diving Invitational.

Also over the weekend, the Texas Swimming and Diving Hall of Fame inducted three new members with ties to the SMU program.

Dallas native Jerry Heidenreich set 17 school records while swimming for the Mustangs and won two gold medals at the 1972 Olympics in Munich.

After serving as team captain and gaining All-American status, George McMillan served as a Mustang assistant coach for 14 years and head coach for 17 years.

The late Richard Quick, also a native of Dallas, was the first coach of the SMU women’s program and guided a record 13 teams to NCAA swimming titles.