The Dallas Flea: SMU Alumna launches trendy flea market featuring local artisans

Brittany Edwards has assessed and analyzed design and style for the past several years. Since graduating from SMU in 2005, Edwards has worked as a fashion reporter for The Dallas Morning News, freelanced in New York City with everyone from Forbes to Lucky, and now is back in Dallas working as Daily Candy’s Dallas editor.

After growing up in Southern California and experiencing the melting pot of New York City, Edwards realized she was missing something: flea markets. Edwards was determined to bring the flea market experience to Dallas. She started brainstorming in September, and by October was planning The Dallas Flea.

“I decided to do a flea market after frustration really,” Edwards said. As the Dallas editor for the popular Web site DailyCandy.com, Edwards writes and reports daily on style, food, fashion and fun.

“I’m an editor by trade, so I wanted to edit down the merchandise that I see every day,” Edwards said. The first attempt at Edward’s business idea, this Saturday, will feature more than 40 local Dallas designers, artists and retailers including Stella Dallas, Again & Again, Uptown Country Home, Archive Vintage, Cooper by Courtney Warren, Amber Venz, Candy Corn’s Popcorn and Candy and SMU sophomore Ali Grace’s jewelry collection. 

“We have everything from established businesses to truly local girls in their garages sewing together skirts or making necklaces with yarn,” Edwards said. “Anything from five bucks to two or three hundred.” Edwards is expecting around 1,000 people to attend the event on Saturday, and she is already planning for upcoming Dallas Fleas. 

“In 2010 we are definitely going to be regular,” Edwards said. “I really want to see the response to this one and then see where to go from there.”

The first Dallas Flea is Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1409 South Lamar St. The event is $5 at the door. For info visit TheDallasFlea.com