Mustangs finish 2009 schedule on the road at Austin and in Washington

The women’s swimming and diving team finished a not-so-close second behind Texas A&M at the Cougar Classic in Houston the weekend before Thanksgiving.

SMU tallied 666 points in 21 events at the three-day meet, but the No. 8 Aggies swept every swimming race and finished with 1,523 points.

Louisiana State University placed third behind SMU with 621 points, while the host University of Houston (465) came in fourth.

For the Mustangs, junior Audra Egenolf won the diving platform competition with a score of 277.20, nearly 75 points better than runner-up Megan Proehl of Kansas (202.50).

And while no team was able to outpace Texas A&M in the pool, SMU did have two swimmers finish with the best time in their respective heats.

Sophomore Emily Vavourakis won her heat in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 50.89 seconds, and junior Anna Ziverts placed first in her heat in the 200-yard breaststroke event (2:27.29).

The Mustangs wrap up the 2009 portion of their schedule with split events beginning Thursday.

The diving team goes to Austin for the three-day University of Texas Invitational while the swimming team travels to Federal Way, Wash., for the 2009 USA Short Course Nationals Thursday through Saturday, and the Long Course Invitational on Sunday.