Owls crush SMU in Houston

Men’s basketball handed worst defeat in 14 years

The Rice Owls handed the Mustangs their worst loss of theseason, defeating the Ponies 80-40.

Actually, Tuesday night’s margin was the most lopsidedloss in the 85-season history of the series and marks the biggestmargin of defeat SMU has ever suffered in Western AthleticConference play. The 40-point loss is also the third largest in SMUhistory

Junior center Eric Castro led the Mustangs in scoring with nineand pulled in seven rebounds.

But SMU’s scoring went into a drought at the end of thegame, not scoring a basket during the last 9:22 of the game.

SMU’s usual game plan was altered a bit due to juniorPatrick Simpson recently undergoing mouth surgery. Simpson played amere 16 minutes Tuesday night.

Rice’s shooting was also a huge factor in the loss. TheOwls scorched the Mustangs, shooting at just above 56 percent fromthe field, and an impressive 10-18 from three point land. ThePonies shot a mere 24.5 percent from the field and only connectedon 3-20 shooting from deep.

The 40-point effort marks the lowest point production since theMustangs defeated UT-Arlington 36-31 in the 1989-90 season. SMU,who looked to be back on track with a decisive victory against SanJose State last Saturday, falls back to 8-8 on the season, and 2-4in the WAC. Rice goes to 12-4 overall, and 4-1 in the WAC.

The Mustangs will try to refocus their efforts Saturday whenthey play host to Louisiana Tech at 2 p.m. in Moody Colliseum.

-Portions of story from SMUmustangs.com.