Throwers finish 1,2,3 at OU

Hopley, Robertson, McKinney sweep

Defending NCAA discus champion Hannes Hopley, Sophomore MichaelRobertson, and Junior Matthew McKinney gave SMU’s track&field team a sweeping start to the 2004 season. The threethrowers finished first, second and third, respectively, in themen’s shot put at last Saturday’s Oklahoma Classic, inNorman, Okla.

Hopley led the ‘Stangs’ charge with an NCAAprovisional mark of 19.29m, while Robertson threw a solid 16.74m,followed closely by McKinney’s mark of 16.54m. TheMustangs’ Paul Teinert finished ninth in the event with amark of 10.41m.

“I felt confident, but I surprised myself,” saidHopley of the early season success. “I expected to throw over60 feet, but not that far,” he said. Hopley explained thateven with the one-two-three finish, the team is working towardbigger things. “It’s early, and we still have a sixmonth season (with indoor and outdoor events). Our goals are NCAANationals.” Hopley said.

Teammate Oleksander Lutsenko also had a successful weekend,finishing first in the men’s weight throw with a distance of18.55m. Robertson finished second with a mark of 18.23m. SophomoreEinar Hjartarson also won the men’s high jump with a mark of2.12m.

On the women’s side, Marie Norrman took the high jump forthe Mustangs with a mark of 1.73m, and Eva Charfreitagova won thewomen’s weight throw with a 15.65m effort.

The team competes again this weekend at Texas Tech.