Stansbury a big ‘waist’ of talent

Stansbury a big waist of talent
Stansbury a big ‘waist’ of talent

Stansbury a big ‘waist’ of talent

Defensive end Don Iremia-Stansbury finally put on his freshman 15 – and then some. From last Thanksgiving to now, Stansbury has gained 25 pounds and grown stronger in order to turn himself into a more prototypical defensive end.

Stansbury was recruited out of Irvin High School in El Paso, Texas as a linebacker. His combination of speed and strength made him an intriguing player.

Stansbury redshirted his first year, learning the ropes from players like Vic Viloria. When head coach Phil Bennett was hired, Stansbury made an impression. Determined to find somewhere to play the hard-nosed defender, Bennett decided to move Stansbury to a starting defensive end spot – only four days before SMU would face Fresno State on Oct. 19. Stansbury had two sacks.

The eye-opening experience earned Stansbury a permanent spot at defensive end, but with a linebacker’s size, he had to make a change in order to raise his level of play.

Stansbury stopped running and started eating. He began to lift weights four times a week and started his off-season lifting earlier than usual. Today, Stansbury is about 250 pounds. He is confident that he has added enough mass to improve his effectiveness, especially against the run.

“For next season, I’ll be good,” Stansbury said. “I’ll maybe add about five more pounds.”

The extra weight also brings a challenge. Basic physics teaches that heavier objects don’t move as fast. And weight doesn’t necessarily mean strength. Stansbury is aware of both facts and is eager to see how it works into his play on the field.

“The challenge will be trying to maintain my speed and quickness,” Stansbury said, “and I have to prove I’m stronger because I’m playing with the big boys now.”

Despite playing against bigger competition – offensive linemen often weigh in excess of 300 pounds – Stansbury has established himself as a threat. He was a part of SMU’s 3-2 finish and instantly cemented his place in next season’s starting line up.

“I pretty much proved what I wanted to prove,” Stansbury said. “Coming into my second year, this could be the hardest one because of last season’s performance. As long as I stay consistent with my performance I’ll be happy.”

If Stansbury plays like he did last season, his coaches will be happy, also. Players and coaches are a little more familiar with each other. The returning starters, especially on offense, know what Bennett expects and should have a greater understanding of his staff’s offense. The team will add a few wrinkles on both sides of the ball that should make it more competitive as well as challenge its players. Mentally, Stansbury is confident that the Mustangs are ready for the sequel to Bennett’s first spring.

“Since we’ve been there as a team before, we’ll have [the right] mindset,” Stansbury said. “We know what to expect and what he expects from us.”

No one knows what exactly is in store for Mustang football in the next month. Bennett isn’t taking the team to Junction, but there are still questions that have to be answered.

SMU is deep at the running back position and a good spring could give someone a head start in an off-season battle for carries.

Defensively, SMU will graduate both Viloria and cornerback Kevin Garrett.

Despite the uncertainties, there is a unity on the field that SMU has not had in its recent past.

“[I’m eager to see how] everyone comes together this spring,” Stansbury said. “It’ll be interesting to see how we mold together as a team.”

One thing is certain; Stansbury will need a bigger mold.