Mustangs ship out to serve country

While there is a focus on the action occurring in the Middle East, issues on the home front seem less important. This is not true however for two SMU students and three faculty members who are reservists called to duty.

“We have had two students come through our area to withdraw from classes so that they could serve,” Cathy Rowe from the registrar’s office said. “There could be additional students who are leaving, but we would not necessarily know for sure. We would only see the ones who withdraw.”

Rowe said that three options are available to students who are having to depart for military service.

• Withdraw from classes and do not receive a grade. If it is within the first week or two of class, their money would be refunded. If it is later than that, like mid-term for example, they would not.
  • Speak with their advisor or instructors about taking an “incomplete” then finishing up the work later.
  • Speak with their advisor or instructor about the possibility of a grade being awarded based on the amount of work already completed. In most cases, the instructors wish to see 65 percent or more of the work completed before agreeing to this option.

“In the last two instances,” Rowe said, “we would never hear of these students, and they’re not flagged in any way on the records.”

Leo Pucacco is an engineering professor and advisor. He is also responsible for advising SMU students who are R.O.T.C., Reservists, or National Guard members.

“Two years ago, I had two students called up for service,” Pucacco said. “I received a letter from the provost’s office advising me on the policy for dealing with these students.

Tom Tunks is the Assistant Provost on campus. Tunks said that the policy can now be found through links to SMU’s Web site. Tunks also said that the registrar’s office answers to the provost’s office. Any drops would be reported to them. So would faculty or staff members leaving.

Tunks was not aware of any faculty of staff members leaving, but Suzette Ramirez, the head of the Human Relations Department was.

“We have had three members of the faculty declared to be reservists,” Ramirez said. “One left about two and a half months ago. The other two are on stand-by. “

Again, this is a case where a total count is not available.

“These faculty members could work something out with their departments,” Ramirez said. “We’re only aware of members who declare themselves.”

Alice Dealy of the payroll department was not aware of any faculty or staff members who had left, but she said they would be the last to know and that only Ramirez would have a true picture.

Among rumors of six or more students gone, the only confirmed absences, or potential absences, were of two students and three faculty members. The names are not being released for privacy reasons. As people reflect on the absence of a loved one, the staff of The Daily Campus wishes to acknowledge the sacrifices of these families.

Anyone wishing to see the name of their absent military family member listed in The Daily Campus should contact Kris Norvet, the editor in chief, at [email protected].