Students prepare for a super Sunday

Crunchy Tostitos, corny touchdown dances and costly televisioncommercials are all part of the pageantry of the footballfan’s holiday known as Super Bowl Sunday. Each one of us hasour own special tradition, whether it be grilling hot dogs andthrowing back a few cold ones, betting on the score after eachquarter of play or just watching for the commercials.

“We’re getting a keg — it’sessential,” junior John Haitas said. “We’llprobably grill, too. But if there’s bad weather, maybe nachosin the oven.”

Haitas believes that Super Bowl Sunday is a great tradition.

“It’s all about getting together, drinking some beerand eating food with your friends,” he said.

The die-hard Tennessee Titans fan will be cheering for theCarolina Panthers, although he predicts that New England willwin.

“The game means a lot more when your team is in it, butwhoever’s in the game, it’s always sad to see theseason end,” Haitas said.

While some students will indulge in a few alcoholic beverages,dragging a keg into the residence halls may not be the best idea.With this said, students should still have a good time watching thegame.

“My hall is getting a big screen, so I’ll definitelygo watch it there,” sophomore Kasi DeLaPorte said.

After seeing the flyers for the party and hearing about it fromher neighbors in Cockrell-McIntosh hall, DeLaPorte is excited.While she is becoming more of a football fan, the advertising majorwill be watching at least part of the game.

“I really like watching the commercials,” she said.”I don’t know if Carolina or New England will win, butI’m sure we’ll talk about the ads in class onMonday.”

For those looking to get out of the house for the big game,there are many options. Plucker’s Wing Factory and Grill willbe offering $20 all-you-can-eat special of anything on the menu. Ifit’s a sports bar scene you crave, places like Ozona Grilland Bar and Two Rows Pub on Greenville are offering drinkspecials.

“We usually get a lot of the SMU crowd, students andfaculty both. I’m sure this year will be much thesame,” Two Rows employee Stacy Miller said.

Whatever the plans, some students hope that this Super Bowldoesn’t end up like many in years past.

“I just hope it’s not a blowout,” saidHaitas.