Between Iraq and a hard place

Me Talk Funny
 Between Iraq and a hard place
Between Iraq and a hard place

Between Iraq and a hard place

The following are several different issues which I think each of us, regardless of our political leanings, must ask during this time of war. I, like you, am limited to the information I have gained from the television and newspapers; however, I believe my concern for and interest in the future of the United States and the rest of the world is just as significant as any paid journalist. Therefore, here are my questions and comments:

1. What will happen if American and other Coalition troops suffer heavy casualties during the war in Iraq? Will a post-Vietnam country be able to cope psychologically with hundreds or even thousands of casualties?

Various analysts have speculated that while Iraqi troops, conditioned to large losses during conflict, might lose much of their forces and maintain cohesiveness and strength, Coalition troops and, more specifically, Americans at home may not be able to cope with heavy losses. While most of America supports a war that brings only a handful of deaths, will America continue to support the war if and when those numbers increase?

2. What if weapons of mass destruction are not found in Iraq?

While most of the world agrees that Hussein and his regime are dangerous and should be taken out of power (perhaps not by force), where will the United States stand in the international community if it is unable to justify its efforts in Iraq? I am not attempting to defend or to support anyone here, but the United States’ relationship with the rest of the world is up in the air right now. What will happen if our war efforts and post-war efforts continue to be questioned and attacked by the rest of the world? Will the United States be considered a terrorist country?

3. If, in fact, the war ends tomorrow, Saddam is taken out of power and the U.S. begins a regime change and the implementation of a democratic society, what’s the next step?

Beyond continued U.S. presence in Afghanistan and President Bush’s “Road Map” to the Middle East, what are our government’s real plans for the rest of the world? What will happen with North Korea, the Philippines and Africa? I urge each of you to visit http://www.newamericancentury.org, in which The Project for the New American Century is described as, “a nonprofit, educational organization whose goal is to promote American global leadership.”

While the organization might use the word “leadership,” skeptics like me might think “domination” fits better. Will our country attempt to enforce American democracy around the world? Is this possible? What will be the reaction of the global community? Furthermore, if and when the war in Iraq ends and Coalition forces are victorious, what will be the role of the United Nations, or has it already disappeared? In going to war with Iraq without UN approval, has the United States already declared its desire for global leadership/domination?

4. As competent and informed individuals, we must be aware of what we are supporting and/or not supporting.

Anti-war demonstrators across the United States have lost much of their voice for several reasons. Concerning the large anti-war demonstrations, did you know that most of these rallies and marches are being organized by Communist and Socialist organizations? (Visit http://www.workers.org/ and see for yourself.) Does this mean most anti-war protesters are pro-communism? I think not. What this does mean is that most people don’t know what the hell they’re talking about; moreover, they’re being used by somebody else, and they don’t even know it. Again, we must be educated in our opinions and decisions.

As a slight detour, I would like to add a personal opinion concerning American citizens and their views of the war. We as individuals must own up to our own beliefs. Hemp-clad, teenage drug addicts who hate their Republican parents must no longer hide behind the term “liberal,” just as primal, barbaric xenophobes must not hide behind “conservative.” If you’ve done your homework and have something to say, I’ll listen; if you just want to be mad at “the man,” or you just hate brown people, sit down and be quiet.

5. In further consideration of the American viewpoint, what will our role as students be in the coming months?

As we have seen on our own campus, most of the anti-war voice is coming from the faculty. Though students are interested in the war, what will our role be as the war goes on and as our government’s efforts continue around the world? As the most educated population of our generation, what opinion(s) will we have? What will we support? Will we come together as a generation? Will we be loud and involved, or will we sit back and be quiet?

Finally, and most importantly, now is the time to be scared. Though our troops may be moving quickly towards Baghdad, the world seems too quiet. Will chemical weapons be used? Will the United States suffer large-scale military/terrorist actions on its own soil? Will other anti-American countries become involved? Might the infeasible happen – might Coalition Forces be pushed out of Iraq? How many people will die when all of the fighting is over? How much is enough?

These are the questions we musk ask ourselves.