Hopley wows WAC

After dominating the competition for the past two weeks, juniorthrower Hannes Hopley was named the Western Athletic ConferenceIndoor Track and Field Athlete of the week.

The South African threw an impressive 19.60m at lastSaturday’s meet at Texas Tech. Hopley also threw a hefty19.36m the night before at the Red Raider All-Comers meet,finishing first among collegiate competitors.

“It’s really motivating to earn this honor, it makesme want to do it again next time we compete,” said Hopley.The junior thrower said that he really didn’t feel too wellgoing into competition on Saturday. But after the first couplethrows were consistent, Hopley felt better.

“Efficient is what I’ve become,” he said.”My throws on Saturday were just as far as anything I threwlast year, but I had to dig deep for them.”

As for the honor of WAC Indoor Track and Field Athlete of theWeek, Hopley was clueless.

“I didn’t hear about the honor until Mikey[Robertson] told me about it,” said Hopley. Robertson is afellow Mustang thrower and is also Hopley’s roommate. He saysliving with Hopley is motivating.

“Living with Hannes is like being in the fire everyday.I’m living with my competition,” said Robertson.”The only thing is, we’re both going after the samegoal, and only one of us can achieve it.” Robertson finishedthird behind Hopley at Texas Tech.

Teammate Matt McKinney says his teammate is worthy of the honorfrom the WAC.

“He deserves it. He works hard at what he does,”said McKinney.

The Mustangs compete again until February 7 in Houston.