Working out and looking stylish can go hand-in-hand

CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus
Center Myles Luttman goes up for a layup against Florida Gulf Coast University last Saturday at Moody Coliseum.

(Photo illustration by Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Going to work out doesn’t mean you have to resort to an over-sized T-shirt and sweats. Athletic wear companies are accommodating workout gurus by offering “stylish” and colorful options to sport at the gym.

Wearing clothes that you love makes you feel better, whether it is on the streets, in class or yes – even at the gym.

When you look good you feel good, and when you feel good you’ll be sure to get a boost in your mood that will encourage your presence at Dedman.

Color is one aspect of these trendy athletic clothes that make them much more fun than the typical grays and blacks that are an easy go-to.

For many, just the word “gym” can have a negative connotation.

However, pops of color in tanks, bottoms and accessories will help to create a more positive association with working out.
So, grabbing pieces in pinks, oranges and purples will brighten up your mood and make it easier to lace up your sneakers, head to the gym and get on that treadmill.

Another aspect of athletic-wear that makes it more stylish is the design.

Pants and crops have bands of colors that wrap around different areas of the leg, and most now come in patterns of all sorts.

Tops can be found in every style imagineable, ranging from racerbacks, to cutouts in different shapes on the back.

Some even have built-in sports bras that contrast the color of the top.

From yoga, to Pilates, to running, and even just lounging around, brands such as Nike, SOLOW and lululemon Athletica offer a large variety of options that provide comfort for your workout, while simutaneously giving off a stylish appeal.

Conveniently for SMU students, Nike and Lululemon stores are located in the NorthPark mall in Dallas.

But SMU girls aren’t only sporting these brands at the gym. They can be spotted wearing them anywhere around campus.
Whether you’re clad in stylish athletic wear for comfort or because you’re about to hit the gym, your style surely won’t diminish.

When it comes to athletic wear, you can also find other gear that are just as stylish – water bottles, sports bras, sneakers, headbands and even gym bags are not so ordinary any more.

Some have motivational words and sentences on them while others come in fun colors.

However, not every girl cares about adding color and design into their workout attire.

A common concern of theirs is how practical and functional these “stylish” athletic clothes actually are.

Brands that offer stylish options do still pride themselves in ensuring that the product is ready to handle anything you can.
If you read the descriptions on any of these brands’ items, there are plenty of reasons that are sure to convince you how perfectly they will compliment any type of workout you choose.

With words like “breathable,” “irritation free,” and “moisture wicking” are great descriptions to look for in athletic-wear.

Even stylish athletic gear often has compartments for keys and headphones to make your time at the gym even easier.

And, if you’re skeptical to try out some of the newer, up-and-coming brands that are now offering stylish athletic attire, some of the most traditional athletic brands like Nike and Under Armor is offering the same products you love but in a more trendy manner.

Their sneakers can now be found in neon colors in addition to the typical blues and greens, and their pants now have pops of color.

And if you’re really into designer clothing designers like Cynthia Crowley and Ralph Lauren have lines dedicated to athletic clothes and accessories.

So the next time you’re out shopping, don’t just focus on your every day attire – stop into stores all about working out.

You’ll be surprised by what they have started to bring into stock so that you can exercise in style.

Bring excitement into your exercise routine by spicing it up with stylish clothes and accessories.