Protests must cease in time of war

Protests must cease in time of war
Protests must cease in time of war

Protests must cease in time of war

The time has come for unity in America.

Those with the power to decide have made their decision and protesting cannot change that now. Those who must carry out their decision, though, are just now getting started in this dangerous endeavor and need the support of a unified American public behind them.

This argument, though, is not an argument in favor of war but, rather, a plea for understanding – understanding that only democracy’s most patient protest, the electoral process, can ever be acceptable when our nation is immersed in war and our fellow citizens abroad face death daily.

Growing up as a military child shipping from base to base every couple of years, I’ve seen soldiers deployed to Iraq and Bosnia and personally watched as bomb-laden aircrafts flew off to defend the lives and freedoms of helpless Kosovars facing genocide.

More importantly, though, I have seen the human side of our seemingly invincible first-class armed services.

The men and women now fighting in the Persian Gulf are facing lethal conflict almost constantly to defend the very freedom of speech that criticizes them.

Though such criticism is not inherently wrong, is it really appropriate?

These Americans have families, they have fears, and they do not all agree with President Bush, but they recognize their duty, and the public must recognize its duty – those who act need the support and deserve the admiration of every American.

To fill the cities with discord while the troops fight is no different than spitting on them in the street.

Yet Americans have a freedom of expression and a right to assemble peacefully and no one is going to stop them.

The question that must be posed now, though, is why? Why protest against starting a war that is already in progress? Why undermine the morale of troops by presenting images of a divided America?

Nothing constructive can be accomplished by marching through L.A., New York or Chicago. The time has come for the anti-war movement to step back and consider its impact on those in danger, especially since they can no longer change the minds of those in power.

Protesters need to stop chasing a lost cause and move on to proactive activities to support our troops and the future of our democracy.

Consensus in democracy is tantamount to rule by a lynch mob and few would disagree that protest is at the heart of the American psyche. There remains, however, a very effective way for those who oppose this war to still protest – one that will target the catalysts and not the agents of this decision.

By choosing to vote, one can express the most powerful anti-war sentiment available in a democracy. No one is hurt, and in the spirit of democracy, the majority opinion of Americans determines the future of this country.

Whether the nation is engaged in war or, as every American desires, at peace, the use of the democratic process to facilitate change is always acceptable.

The time has come to put away the signs and stop shouting at our leaders. Our soldiers – parents, siblings and friends – are in harm’s way.

Save the protests for Election Day and take the time to consider those who would accept death to ensure that day comes.