Southern boys return to studio

Allman Brothers Band releases first album in nearly a decade, hardly missed a beat
 Southern boys return to studio
Southern boys return to studio

Southern boys return to studio

The Allman Brothers recently released the band’s first studio album in nine years. Greg Allman calls Hittin’ the Note “the best album we’ve made since Eat a Peach.”

The guys have been wowing crowds with spectacular live shows across the country.

The big shoes of Duane Allman are filled by the soulful Warren Haynes, who also fronts Gov’t Mule, a band after the Allman’s own heart. Haynes rendition of “Soul Shine” is beautiful.

Haynes as lead should further ease the weary minds of those cringing as the newly revamped Doors: Millennium tour the country – complete with a faux Jim Morrison, leather pants and all.

Instead Haynes lends a low, grainy voice to the spirit of what once was and still is the Allman Brothers.

Derek Trucks, nephew of ABB drummer Butch Trucks, adds fresh blood to the Brothers as well.

The new material sounds much like the older material. Many of the new tracks could easily blend into the brothers’ catalog.

Based on some of the new lyrics, it almost seems that this disc focuses on more retrospection.

The disc adopts a darker personality than some previous works. The additional brooding could be attributed to the time of the release.

It’s not the case that the band is past its prime, but rather that its goals have perhaps changed, and the emotions it wishes to evoke in its listeners have changed as well.

In the drearily pleasing “Old Before My Time,” Haynes voice exists virtually alone on a track dedicated to recounting the musician’s long and winding path.

“Chasing a dream around the world has got me feeling down/ though it used to make me high.”

The band optimizes disc space by spending nearly 77 minutes sweating out Hittin’ the Note’s 11 tracks. This is done by filling the album with all kinds of jamming.

Hittin’ the Note allows excellent musicians to do just that. All of the disc’s instrumentals are brilliantly executed.

Although they haven’t released an album for nearly a decade, its clear that the guys never put down the tools of their trade – the sweet spots are sweet and the dark, bluesy riffs are really dark.

Gregg’s Hammond organ never sounded better.

This summer, the band will be touring here and there. One great opportunity to catch the Brothers will be June 12 – 15 at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, TN.

The guys will join Widespread Panic, the recently reassembled Grateful Dead (now officially referred to as The Dead, out of respect for Jerry Garcia) and a slew of good-time music playing bands.

The three day festival brings together thousands of people with love, peace and music on the agenda. Wait, that sounds like – comparisons may be drawn.

The festival is officially sold out, so eBay will be your best bet for a ticket.

Where else are you going to catch the Allman Brothers Band and The Dead together this summer? Nowhere.

Southern boys return to studio