Students, parents enjoy the ‘Taste of Dallas’

Spencer J Eggers/ The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/ The Daily Campus)

As parents settled into the SMU community, an array of family weekend events helped introduce them to the Dallas atmosphere.

On Sept. 16 Student Foundation’s “Taste of Dallas” dinner was held in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center ballrooms.

Over 200 people attended the $30 a head event and dined on an assortment of local foods.

A total of five eateries were present; Mi Cocina, Patrizio, and Nick and Sam’s Grill served the main courses. Kent Rathbun Catering provided appetizers, while guests were offered mini cupcakes from Society Bakery for dessert.

The buffet style event lasted an hour and a half. The tables were decorated with a Western Texas theme and attendees were given the opportunity to socialize as the Meadows Jazz Quartet entertained the crowd.

Gary Wagner, father of sophomore Hayley Wagner, thought the event did a good job of providing “a nice familiarization of Texas for those who are out of state.”

Bruce Holmblad from Riverside, Calif. enjoyed sampling some local restaurants, and particularly liked Nick and Sam’s Grill broiled salmon.

Sarah Hoffacker, mother of freshmen Chloe Hoffacker, was thankful for the inclusion for vegetarian options and enjoyed the “inviting atmosphere.”

Taste of Dallas Coordinators Lexie Hammesfahr and Billy Fox, both sophomores, had been planning the event since February and were pleased with the turn out.

“We’re just glad that it all seemed to come together…planning it taught us how to work with the University and big business…I think it was a success,” Hammesfahr said.

Fox shared Hammesfahr’s sentiment, “It was a lot of work, I think it went well and it looks really great…I’ve enjoyed it, hopefully everyone else has too.”