Dallas shows support for a free Syria

Photo Courtesy of The Dallas Peace Center

(Photo Courtesy of The Dallas Peace Center)

For one member of the Syrian-American community in Dallas, summers meant hanging out with her cousins on the rooftop of her home in Syria.

In the past, those rooftops were full of laughter, games, and food, but in the summer of 2011, those rooftops were homes to snipers, bullets, and government police.

Since March 15, 2011, Syria has been in a state of revolt to protest the regime of Bashar al-Assad. Over the past six months, the United Nations estimates over 2,600 people have been killed in Syria—a number the Syrian government claims is much lower while other human rights organizations say it is even higher.

Because of the dangerous situation, the names of some of the people interviewed for this story are not being used to protect their families back in Syria.

This specific Syrian-American and other Syrian-Americans living in Dallas are tired of the violence; they are doing everything they can in America to help end the violence for their families and friends in Syria.

On Sept. 17, nearly 250 people met in Dallas to show their support for all countries working for freedom in the event 1 Night, 1,000 Strong.

Speakers came from all over the world for the event in Dealey Plaza in downtown Dallas.

“We had speakers from Egypt, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Palestine, and Pakistan,” Rania Kisar, the event organizer, said.

Kisar also spoke at the event, sharing her close connection and passion for Syria. She is working through social media and other online resources to support the men and women in Syria who are risking their lives to peacefully protest—a task proven to be extremely dangerous.

The revolt began with a protest from school boys—ages 10 to 15. The boys wrote graffiti messages saying the Syrian people wanted to see the end of Assad’s regime.

The boys, all from prominent families in Syria, were taken away by the government police and were beaten, tortured, and mutilated. The city erupted with protests asking to set the boys free, but the police opened fire on the protestors and the uprising began.

Since that point in March, people across Syria continue to lay down their lives to participate in peaceful protests. Kisar said the Syrian people believe in the things they are fighting for so strongly, that it is worth the risk. Free speech, free press, and the right to vote are just a few of the rights the Syrian people are fighting for.

In August, President Obama called for Syrian President Assad to step down in order for his country to grow in peace and become a free democracy. The Syrian people do not want U.S. military intervention, Kisar said, but she says the support of the American people is crucial.

“Let’s tell the people who are suffering and crying for their freedom what it is like to be free,” Kisar said. “Let’s tell them what it’s like to have equal opportunities and the chance to pursuit happiness,” Kisar said.

She hopes Americans will send messages of support to the Syrian people through social media. Kisar and believes these messages will encourage the Syrian people to keep moving forward.

For the Syrian-American girl who misses the peaceful rooftops of her home in Syria, moving forward means an opportunity for her family to be free to enjoy their summers once again, but this time, she hopes, as free citizens of a liberated Syria.