Rice knocks Mustangs out of Conference USA tournament

SMUs Robin Fahgen prepares to return the ball.
Sarah Acosta
SMU’s Robin Fahgen prepares to return the ball.

SMU’s Robin Fahgen prepares to return the ball. (Sarah Acosta)

For the second year in a row, the No. 48 SMU men’s tennis team fell in the semifinal round of the C-USA Championship tournament. The Mustangs lost to No. 30 Rice 4-3 in a rematch of an upset earlier in the season.

In the last regular match of the 2007 season, SMU beat Rice 4-3, who was ranked considerably higher in ITA rankings. The Owls got their revenge by ending the Mustangs’ run in the tournament. Rice went on to lose to Tulsa 4-0 in the championship match.

Before meeting the Owls in the semifinals, SMU kicked off their C-USA tournament appearance with a 4-0 win over Southern Mississippi University. The Golden Eagles earned a No. 6 seed in the conference tournament and were only able to take one individual win from the Mustangs at No. 3 doubles.

After downing Southern Mississippi in their first round, the Mustangs faced in-state rival Rice.

At No. 1 singles, No. 79 Alex Skrypko defeated No. 36 Ben Harknett 7-5, 6-2. Skrypko and partner Federico Murgier were, however, unable to overturn the No. 53 doubles team of Ralph Knupfer and Tobias Scheil at the No. 1 position.

David Kuczer upset No. 120 Knupfer at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-1. The junior had previously lost to Knupfer when the Mustangs played the Owls to close the regular season.

Both Oivind Alver and Murgier were unable to take wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Each Mustang lost to the same player he lost to earlier in the season. Alver fell 7-5, 7-5 to Christoph Muller while Muriger dropped a 6-4, 6-4 decision to Scheil.

Freshman Robin Faghen once again defeated Rice’s Jason Mok. At No. 4 singles, Faghen won 6-3, 6-2.

Junior Adolfo Solares was unable to play the hero for a second time in a row as he lost in three sets at No. 6 singles. Rice’s Filip Zivojinovic closed the match 4-6, 7-5, 6-4, simultaneously clinching the match for the Owls.

Rice’s fourth point came from winning both the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches.

The announcement of the NCAA Championship bracket on May 1 is next on the Mustangs’ agenda.