Block Party celebrates George W. Bush Library dedication

Sophomore Catherine Betack celebrates at the SMU Block Party.
Rebecca Keay / The Daily Campus

Sophomore Catherine Betack celebrates at the SMU Block Party. (Rebecca Keay / The Daily Campus)

The celebrations for the opening of the George W. Bush Presidential Center culminated with the SMU Boulevard Block Party Thursday evening. From 5-9 p.m. both students and local residents gathered in the SMU intramural fields, adjacent to the new Bush Center, to enjoy food and live music.

“Since not many students could attend the dedication, this is a great way for students to celebrate the opening of the new library,” sophomore Corey Diener said.

The event featured performances by The Southern Gentlemen, The Belle Tones and reprisals of two popular sing-song acts from BYX/Chi Omega and BME/Gamma Phi Beta.

“I think that one thing that is most exciting about this event is that all aspects of campus are coming together as one,” Student Body President, Alex Mace said.

The headliner of the event was SMU alum and country music artist Jack Ingram. Ingram played an hour-long set.

“Keeping with the theme of SMU talent, we were excited to have an SMU alumni come back to campus and play for such a big event,” Program Council Speakers Chair Laura Sullivan said.

Popular food trucks lined the perimeter of the intramural fields to offer refreshments to attendees. Students received coupons to exchange for food with each Block Party ticket they reserved, making the evening both fun and affordable.

The event concluded with the lighting Freedom Hall. For many students, this was the first opportunity to properly welcome the President and his new center to campus.

“Having President and Mrs. Bush here tonight is a special opportunity for students not only to celebrate the opening of the Bush Library, but to celebrate the start of another great era on campus as well,” student trustee John Oakes, said.