Dallas, Jerry Jones give away another pick after day one trade

Think about the way a typical NFL team owner prepares for the NFL Draft on the morning of the draft. Maybe he meets with his president and general manager to review their prospective picks and refine their strategy toward filling all their needs. That’s what I would do if I were an owner.

But Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, is not your typical executive. Unless he wants to stand in front of a mirror, he doesn’t meet with his president and his general manager. That’s because Jones is owner, president, and general manager of his Cowboys.

So instead of meeting with nonexistent people on the morning of the 2013 NFL Draft, Jones thought it best to attend the dedication of the George W. Bush Presidential Center to see all five living presidents on the campus of SMU.

That night, he proceeded to make draft decisions that are laughable at best, making sure his team again fails to make the playoffs and his franchise slowly loses its fan base.

But let’s examine how exactly Jerry Jones screwed up his picks in the NFL Draft.

They originally had the 18th overall pick, and could have used it to draft a good safety or defensive tackle, two positions where they need players. Instead, Jones gave the pick to the 49ers in exchange for the 31 and 74 overall picks. If he had a good strategy to go along with the trade, then people might have praised him for his bold move and knowledgeable insight. But we’re dealing with Jerry Jones, someone who is too stubborn to admit that he needs a general manager to help him with situations exactly like this.

Jones picked Travis Frederick, an offensive tackle out of Wisconsin. Frederick will most likely start in the first game of the upcoming season, but is not the caliber of a player who should be chosen in the first round.

Let’s go back to that 18th overall pick that the Cowboys traded away. The 49ers used that to pick Eric Reid, a safety out of LSU. The Cowboys need a safety too and Reid could have been a day one starter for them. Theoretically, Jones could have picked Reid at No. 18, then traded up to an earlier second-round pick and most likely gotten Frederick too. Then the Cowboys could have focused on filling a gap in the defensive line, a position for which they didn’t even draft a player this year.

Jones did pick up two solid players in his second – and third-round picks with Gavin Escobar and Terrence Willams, who could both develop into starters.

But it left the Cowboys with J.J. Wilcox as their top best defensive back draft pick. Wilcox could compete for a starting job, but the missed opportunity from not landing Reid in the first round makes this pick underwhelming.

The Cowboys need to address their defensive line problem if they don’t want to be ranked 22 in opponent’s rushing yards again. They will have to make some offseason trades to supplement it or face another season of mediocrity.