Students respond to Dallas heat wave

Triple digit weather hit Dallas for the 58th day Wednesday.

The high of 106 degrees puts the 2011 heat wave nine days away from the all-time record of 69 triple digit days set in 1980.

The National Weather Service has forecasted temperatures beyond 100 degrees for rest of the week with no immediate reprieve in sight.

For the SMU community this means an ongoing challenge of trying to stay cool during the beginning of the school year.

Junior Jaime Kim believes the heat has made walking around campus much more difficult than usual.

“It’s really hard for me to walk from the parking lot to classes,” Kim said. “The heat is just extremely unbearable.”

For students coming from different states the Dallas temperatures might pose a significant change from what they experienced during their summer vacation.

Senior Rodney Clickscales thinks the summer weather back in Chicago was hotter than usual but still nothing compared to what he now faces.

“It was probably around 85, 90 degrees back in Chicago but still, the leap to 110 [degrees] is a big difference,” Clickscales said.

Students not accustomed to the heat may need to take extra precaution when outside.

The ability to tolerate the heat is built over time according to Dr. Merill from the SMU Medical Center. For students not used to warm weather it can take two to three weeks to properly acclimate.

Ultimately, different students have different needs when facing the weather.

Junior Lanissa Cole says the weather it sapping her of energy.

“It’s draining. After class I have to take a nap because I’m so tired,” she said.

Cole adds that she drink two to three bottles of water between classes to help her keep going while at school.

Merill believes while most students are aware they need to drink water throughout the day, they often forget the reverse effects of alcoholic beverages.

“Sometimes [students] drink some alcohol and they inadvertently dehydrate themselves,” Merill said.

Merill warns students for every alcoholic beverage they consume they need two cups of water to rehydrate.