Looking back on a legend

Bridwell librarian pays tribute to movie star
 Looking back on a legend
Looking back on a legend

Looking back on a legend

Among the thick, hunter green reference books in Bridwell Library, a thin catalog is shelved neatly in the back corner. Featured on the cover is Bridwell librarian Jane Lenz Elder’s new book, “Alice Faye: A Life Beyond the Silver Screen.”

The Bridwell reference librarian, SMU alum and employee for 19 years, has written the first complete biography of Alice Faye, a successful 1930s film star. It was released this month.

Elder was introduced to Faye’s work through a movie marathon on television.

“I’d never paid too much attention to her before. She just struck me as someone who was really talented. I wondered why she wasn’t as well known today as some of the other stars.”

Elder’s opportunity to explore Faye’s life came in 1998 when history professor Ron Davis approached her to write for the Hollywood Legends Series for the University Press of Mississippi.

“It had to be somebody who was extremely popular in their day. Somebody who hadn’t had a biography written about them before because the last thing they want is a biography of Marilyn Monroe,” Elder said.

Faye began her film career in 1933 and within a few years became 20th Century Fox’s leading lady. She was the No. 1 box office attraction in 1940. She starred in musicals such as “Alexander’s Ragtime Band” and was more popular than Bette Davis. But in the midst of her success, she walked out on her contract. She didn’t like how studio bosses were handling her career, and she took control of it. Elder said reneging on a contract was virtually unheard of at that time.

If you’re looking for something like “E! True Hollywood Story,” you’re not going to find it in this book. Its purpose was to examine Faye’s life and put it in a historical context.

“I thought that was going to limit the audience a lot. People want scandal, murder and mayhem,” Elder said, “I don’t enjoy that sort of stuff.”

She said Faye was a nice person that stood up for herself. She shows that it’s still possible to be your own person and have a Hollywood career.

“It’s always nice to read about someone who is a genuine person, who has self-doubts yet pursues and conquers any fears. I think Jane Lenz Elder did a phenomenal job of capturing the essence of Alice Faye in her biography,” said George Ulrich, creator of the official Alice Faye Web site.

Of the near 600 manuscripts submitted each year to the University Press of Mississippi, Elder’s work was among the few chosen for publication.

“We thought it was very well written and extremely well researched. The big advantage is she did have the cooperation of the family, friends and people who were willing to talk about Alice Faye,” Seetha Srinivasan, the University Press of Mississippi director, said.

Elder’s research began with reading standard histories of cinema and the biographies of those who had worked with Faye. Her search took her to Linton, Ind. the hometown of Faye’s husband, famous bandleader and comedian Phil Harris. Harris donated their memorabilia to the town.

Elder also traveled to Los Angeles, Calif. for interviews with Faye’s daughters. She conducted more research at the Motion Picture Academy library as well.

“[It’s] unbelievable. You walk in and it’s like doing research in the church of film,” she said.

While writing the book, Elder worked full-time and pursued her master’s degree in library science. From proposal to publication, the process took four years.

“It felt kind of strange at first. It took awhile for me to get used to the idea that ‘Oh, that’s my book now. That’s what I’ve been working for’ because you spend four years looking at a really fat term paper,” she said.

The book, which was reviewed in the Los Angeles Times, got the California native e-mails and congratulations from her former schoolmates.

“It is so fun. I’m waiting for the e-mail from that one girl that wasn’t very nice to me in ninth grade,” she said jokingly.

Elder is currently working on her next book for the series featuring Basil Rathbone, most known for his role as Sherlock Holmes.

These works are a far cry from Elder’s previous book “Trading in Santa Fe: John M. Kingsbury’s Correspondence with James Josiah Webb,” an economic study of the 19th century West.

” Well, I don’t like to do the same thing over and over,” Elder said.