SMU announces $25 million gift

Former political big wigs to open Tate Lecture Series

Harold C. and Annette Caldwell Simmons donated $25 million to the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development. (Courtesy of SMU)

President R. Gerald Turner announced yesterday that SMU received a $25 million gift from Harold C. and Annette Caldwell Simmons to expand the programs and academic positions at the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development.

“We are truly fortunate to count the Simmons as partners in our academic mission and greatly value their leadership and generosity,” Turner said.

President Turner made the announcement to a room filled with many familiar names on campus.

Board of Trustee members Bobby B. Lyle, Gerald J. Ford and Robert H. Dedman were just some of the members present to honor this announcement.

Former First Lady Laura Bush, another member of the Board of Trustees, was also present, as was the Simmons family.

The current school of education, which opened in 2010, was funded by a $20 million endowment from the Simmons in 2007.

“We are a relatively new school, so when this building wasn’t here we were spread out on campus,” David Chard, Leon Simmons Dean of Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development, said.

Six years ago, the $20 million donation was historically large for SMU. But as of today, that’s no longer true.

This gift will fund a new academic building and create three new endowed academic positions. At the request of the Simmons, the new building will be named Harold Clark Simmons hall.

“It’s a game changer for us. It elevates us. I thought it would be 10 years before our first building and it took us three,” Dean Chard said, “It puts us in a different tier.”

The current school has expanded rapidly over the past half-decade and it is now completely full.

“The demand is much higher. We need additional space,” Turner said.

For many, perhaps the most surprising part of this gift was the timing.

“When I joined in 2007, I had no idea we would be celebrating this new gift just six years later,” Chard said.

Harold Simmons spoke to the crowd about having his namesake become an institution of learning.

“I am honored to have a building with my name on it. I feel like I am a part of the family, even though I didn’t go to school here,” said Simmons.

The crowd gave Simmons a standing ovation as he thanked his friends for being there.

As the 25-minute ceremony came to a close, President Turner presented two inscribed silver hand bells to the Simmons in commemoration of this day.

“With that let’s ring in a new era,” Vice President of Development and External Affairs Brad Cheves said as President Tuner, Dean Chard, Caren Prothro and the Simmons rang their bells.

While the day was an enormous success, there was one minor issue.

“If you’ve seen the morning papers, you know this was the worst kept secret in Dallas,” Turner said.

The groundbreaking of the Harold C. Simmons building will begin sometime next year.