Dallas Summer Musicals ‘Bring(s) It On’

New cheerleading musical sticks the landing
Photo courtesy of Michael Lamont
In a performance of “Bring It On,” the Truman cheer squad impresses the judges at the regional competition.

In a performance of “Bring It On,” the Truman cheer squad impresses the judges at the regional competition. (Photo courtesy of Michael Lamont)

Don’t let its movie predecessor fool you, “Bring It On : the Musical” isn’t just for chatty teenagers anymore.

Dallas Summer Musical’s production of the touring show features an array of acrobatic stunts and entertaining musical numbers that all ages can enjoy.

The show, which runs until Feb. 26 at the Musical Hall at Fair Park, is an endearing and entertaining show of catchy tunes and mouth-dropping stunts.

“Bring It On: The Musical” shares the same general idea of cheerleading drama and competition as the movie series, but offers up a fresh plot that makes for a memorable stage production.

The musical’s protagonist, cheerleader Campbell played by Taylor Louderman, has it all.

She’s cheer captain of her squad, goes to the better school in town and has a sweet boyfriend.

That is, she has it all until a random redistricting ousts her from her perfect life at Truman High School to the poorer and predominately black Jackson High.

To Louderman’s demise, the new school does not have a cheerleading squad.

The worst part about Campbell’s move? It looks like it’s all part of a sneaky scheme by underclassmen cheerleader Eva, played by Elle McLemore, to become captain and steal Campbell’s life.

To get revenge against her rival, Campbell makes a cheer squad out of a hip-hop crew at Jackson and manipulates the team into training and competing against Truman at Nationals.

It may sound far fetched—and given, it is pretty unlikely but it makes for an interesting story that comes alive with a savory cast.

Louderman as Campbell captivates the audience with her beautiful voice.

Ryann Redmond lights up the stage as the nerdy girl and Campbell’s unlikely compatriot.

Redmond’s bold voice gives power to her insecure character in the play.

Also notable is Adrienne Warren as Jackson’s queen bee, Danielle. Her voice and confidence is mesmerizing.

The musical comes together with the final number “Cross the Line,” sung by soloist Nick Blaemir and accompanied by cheer choreography.

The entire cast executes stunts and choreography that keep the audience engaged.

Director and choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler creates a memorable night of theater with his interesting and compelling dance numbers.

The act is only made better by the innovative and imaginative use of electronic screens on stage by set designer David Korins.

Yes, “Bring It On: The Musical” is about cheerleading and high school drama, but it also offers wholesome lessons about self-esteem, honesty and hard work that we can all learn from.

While you may be able to predict the plot at some times, “Bring It On” is a fun night of entertainment.

It is perfect for a night out with family or friends.