Dallas Hall shines bright

Celebration of Lights brings cold weather, cheerful SMU students

Candle flames flickered in shivering hands Sunday night, dimly lighting the faces of students who stood on the lawn in front of Dallas Hall for Christmas carols and holiday lights.

Student Foundation hosted the 33rd annual Celebration of Lights Sunday, initiating the holiday season on campus with the ceremonial lighting of the Christmas tree.

Hot chocolate and cookies were served on the Main Quad to start the event and to keep attendees warm in the evening’s 45-degree weather.

“Jingle Bell Rock” could be heard just outside the doors of the Hughes-Trigg Student Center. By the time “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” came on, people had taken over the lawn in front of Dallas Hall.

Around 7 p.m., candles were lit, people passing flames to friends and strangers around them.  After Student Foundation President Andrew Conwell welcomed the audience to the ceremony, voices from the stage and the audience sang Christmas carols, reading the words from the program by the light of their candles.

After “the First Noel” and “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing,” the song of the evening came on: “Silent Night.”

As voices sang, more than 380,000 lights turned on with “all is calm, all is bright.”

Senior Beth Mably has come each of her four years at SMU to participate in the 33-year-long custom.

“It’s a nice way to wrap up the semester,” she said. “I like the lighting of the candles and when we sing ‘Silent Night.'”

Senior Leigh Armstrong carried on the tradition from her mother who graduated in 1982.

“My friends and I all had our moms come down for it too for a fun mother-daughter thing,” she said. “I just love everyone taking part in the Christmas spirit and singing carols.”

Student Body President Jake Torres appreciates the celebration for the crowd it brings.

“I go because I love seeing my campus come together to celebrate the holidays. I love seeing everyone from all corners of the SMU community together at once,” he said.

He also appreciates the many voices heard on the festive night.

“My favorite part is definitely the carols,” he said. “We have so many gifted students and I love listening to the sing as well as hear the whole campus sing together.”

Student Body Vice President Austin Prentice went to the event for the third time and sponsored a child from Cesar Chavez for his second year.

“I go because of the tradition and the excitement that bringing the whole SMU together generates,” he said. “Celebrating the night with friends makes the evening great.”