Breaking down the NBA Playoffs

The Red Zone
 Breaking down the NBA Playoffs
Breaking down the NBA Playoffs

Breaking down the NBA Playoffs

The NBA season has officially begun.

Yes, The Red Zone understands that evidently the regular season lasts 82 games, but 12 out of the 16 playoff teams can be chosen before the start of the season. The random surprise team can usually be picked (How are ya, Phoenix), and the inevitable collapse is just as obvious (thank-you Kobe).

About the only thing that happened this year that was different, is that teams actually decided to score points with the aforementioned Suns, Nuggets, Wizards, Sonics, and Heat all playing a brand of basketball people would actually like to watch.

Put it all together and the NBA may actually live up to its 80s slogan: “It’s Fantastic!”

Eastern Conference

The Eastern Conference Playoff Picture is the most entertaining since Jordan left the league, and for clarification that was in ‘98 after the Bulls won their sixth title; the Wizards years never happened.

Miami vs. New Jersey

Shaq getting run out of L.A. was the best thing that ever happened to him…well, along with the fact that Dwyane (not a type-o) “Flash” Wade does something Kobe will never be able to do – make people better.

The Heat gets the suddenly rejuvenated Nets in the first round, and right now, Heat fans should be scared. Damon Jones can’t handle Jason Kidd (still the best point guard in the league, and this is in a year that Nash will probably get the MVP) at all. Vince Carter is playing like a man possessed. Hell, even Brian Scalabrine has put up double doubles in four of the last five games.

Add in a healthy Richard Jefferson, and the fact the Nets won 15 of 19 down the stretch to get the eighth spot, and the Heat are facing the worst first round match-up they could have imagined.

The Heat then remembers that they still have Shaq, Flash and Vince underneath, it all falls apart in big games and the Heat take the series in six.

Chicago vs. Washington

The four/five match-up pits the Baby Bulls against the most exciting team in the league, one that the public has never seen play (maybe because they were on national TV only once, while the Knicks were on 11 times) – the Washington Wizards.

The Bulls were covered in this column last week, but the Wizards have two All-Stars in Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas; and Larry Hughes may be their best player, as he has averaged 22 points, six rebounds and five assists on the year to go along with his 2.9 steals a game.

The Wizards have too much for the Bulls without the injured starters Curry and Deng.

Wizards in six.

Boston vs. Indiana

The Pacers got the lucky break of the year as they play the third seeded Boston Celtics. The NBA playoff format rewards division winners, so although the Celtics had the fifth best record in the league, they got the third seed for winning the Atlantic Division.

Indiana is deeper than any team in the league; Reggie Miller at 39 has turned back the clock, averaging 23 points a game over the last two months of the season. This team has dealt with so many ups in downs this season, that some in Indy have dubbed them Six Flags (or maybe that’s just me).

Rick Carlisle is the Coach of Year this season and he gets his team over another hump as they win in seven.

Detroit vs. Philadelphia

The Pistons are the defending champs. The 76ers are Allen Iverson.

I hate the guy, but he is my pick for MVP, as he has hoisted the team on his back and taken them to the playoffs almost completely by himself. Although just once I would like to take 30 shots in a game just to see how it feels, and yes most of my friends right now are making the joke that the Zone didn’t even take three shots over an SMU career, let alone 30. Touché.

All that being said, the Pistons are just that much better.

Pistons in five.

Western Conference

The Western Conference is possibly deeper than it was last year when eight out of the best 10 records in the league were from out west. Hell, last year’s regular season and playoff conference champions both are sitting these playoffs out. No matter, I’ll start my West picks by offering this shocker.

Denver vs. San Antonio

The Spurs get taken down in six games by the Denver Nuggets. George Karl is a better game coach than the Spurs’ Greg Popovich; the talent level between the two teams is nearly identical, and the Nuggets have been red hot since Karl took the reigns. Also, the Nuggets are packed with guys who are used to taking big shots – ‘Melo, Andre Miller, and even Eduardo Najera (see OU Sooners buzzer-beaters circa 1997), and all will step up in and knock it down with the game on the line.

Something isn’t right with the Spurs, and The Red Zone’s got that odd feeling like we did before Ohio St. beat Miami outright (despite being 14 point dogs) to win the Fiesta Bowl a few years back.

Sacramento vs. Seattle

The Sonics adding Rashard Lewis means more to them than Bobby Jackson coming back from injury for the Kings. Everyone doubts that the Sonics can’t win without shooting the ball well. The problem with that is that their losing streak coincided with the loss of Lewis, their only low post scorer, says here the shots start falling again.

Sonics in six.

Memphis vs. Phoenix

The Suns got their worst match-up imaginable when the Grizzlies held off the T-wolves, but let the Nuggets pass them in the chase for the seventh and eight spot. The Grizzlies 10-deep bench will cause the Suns trouble.

Athletic defenders like Shane Battier, Dahntay Jones and James Posey can cause The Matrix (Shawn Marion), Q-Rich (happiest guy on the planet) and Joe Johnson havoc all day long. They even have a low post scorer, Pau Gasol, who can cause Stoudemire trouble.

All that being said, the Suns take it in five (psst, they’re that good).

Dallas vs. Houston

Finally, we get down to the Mavericks and the Rockets.

The Mavericks are all finally healthy. Dirk is convinced he is playing for the German national team every night, and Avery Johnson actually has the Mavs playing defense (Insert Lil’ Jon’s trademark line).

The Red Zone doesn’t trust Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming will get dominated by Dampier, and the Rockets still have Clarence Weatherspoon playing way too many minutes in order to be a quality team. Still, this is a great series because of the trades the Rockets made to bring proven winners into the backcourt. Names like Bob Sura, David Wesley, Jon Barry and Mike Jones don’t even ring a bell with casual observers, but they have been the difference in the second half resurgence for Houston. They actually outplay their Maverick counterparts at the guard spot, and that advantage forces the Mavs to play seven games.

In the end, these Mavericks play with a lot more fight (no pun intended Stack) than recent Mavs teams (the Nick Van Exel year withstanding) and they dig deep to win the series in the Big D.