About the 2011 LOD Project

About the 2011 LOD Project
Brooks Powell/ The Daily Campus

(Brooks Powell/ The Daily Campus)

How safe is it where you live, work and study? Journalism students in Assistant Professor Jake Batsell’s Fall 2011 Technology Reporting class gathered 2010 crime statistics to create an interactive database that maps crimes both on and off campus. Students also examined SMU’s compliance with the Clery Act, a federal law that aims to increase awareness about crimes on university campuses.

It’s all part of the Light of Day Project, a statewide collaboration between university students, The Texas Tribune and the Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas. During the Spring 2011 semester, students examined crime data and SMU’s Clery report from the year 2009.

Within this project, you can find articles, a 21-point          Clery Act Scorecard, interactive crime maps, PDFs of recent SMU Clery Reports and a PDF summary of Dallas crime statistics. Visit the project online at http://bit.ly/smulod

Contributors to the project include Shelby Foster, Michael Murphy, Brad Namdar, Chandler Schlegel, Meghan Sikkel, Alexandra Sisto, Essete Workneh and Brooks Powell.