Book drive enters final week

The SMU library system is in the middle of its two-week drive to collect books for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The effort, which began last Wednesday and will continue through Oct. 5, has proven popular with all members of the SMU community according to Alisa Rata, the head of the library enrichment and development committee.

“People have brought by a pretty substantial number [of books] so far,” she said

Rata’s committee was assigned the task of coming up with something to help out the victims of the hurricane.

She said the library has a history of helping those in need and they decided the most effective thing to do would be a book drive.

“During the holidays we do ‘Food for Fines,’ where canned goods can replace library fines, but it was too early in the year to do that – this seemed like the best idea.”

The library is looking specifically for children’s books and adult leisure reading.

“We want them to be able to read and enjoy themselves,” Rata said.

The library, however, will take any category of books – no matter what the topic. The library does not want any textbooks or magazines.

Even though the drive is off to a successful start, Rata is still encouraging more donations.

“If you’re not using them then give them to someone else who will put them to use,” she said.

Students, staff and faculty can drop off books at the circulation area of Fondren Library, Hamon Fine Arts Library, the Center for Media and Instructional Technology, the Institute for the Study of Earth and Man, Bridwell Library and Underwood Law Library.

The SMU libraries have coordinated with the Highland Park United Methodist Church and the American Red Cross to make sure the books will reach Katrina victims.