Residence hall rates increasing

Rise reflects higher costs

Living on campus: It’s 3 a.m. fire drills, 5-minute walks to class, paper-thin walls, built-in community. It’s a requirement for first-year students and a choice for about 30 percent of upperclassmen who return each year. And it’s getting more expensive.

On average, residence hall rates have increased about $940, or 18.6 percent, since the 2002-2003 school year. For 2005-2006, rates will range from $4,850, for a double room in an unrenovated hall like Boaz or Shuttles, to $7,365, for a single room in a renovated hall like McElvaney or Virginia-Snider. A limited number of doubles will also be sold as singles next year, at 150 percent of the standard double room rate. For a renovated room, that’s $8,865.

Next year’s rates reflect an average increase of $272.50, or 4.7 percent, from the 2004-2005 year. This is a smaller rise than in previous years — 5.7 percent between 2003-2004 and 2004-2005 and 6.6 percent between 2002-2003 and 2003-2004.

“You kind of expect it,” said first-year biology major Fiona Nicholson of the rate increases. “They’re not fun, but you’ve got to pay them anyway.”

Director of Residence Life and Student Housing Doug Hallenbeck said the increases are related to the rising costs of utilities and university merit, or faculty/staff salaries. Next year’s increases are also related to upgrading the on-campus Internet network. RLSH receives no tuition dollars, so students’ rent is the only way the office can keep up with university-wide increases, Hallenbeck said.

The number of students living on campus has decreased this year, as the first-year class was smaller than anticipated, and fewer spots were saved for returning students. However, occupancy rates did not affect next year’s increases, Hallenbeck said.

Several factors influence students’ decisions to live off-campus, including the Dallas apartment market. Hallenbeck said deals, like a month’s free rent, create “highly attractive offers” for students, but considering all the factors, it’s probably more cost-efficient to live on campus.

Sophomore math major Lindsay Geist disagrees. Though initially she may have to spend more to set up house, not paying for a full meal plan will probably make off-campus living cheaper, she said. She’s leaving Cockrell-McIntosh next year for the SMU apartments.

“It’s been two years,” she said of living in the residence halls. “I’ve loved it, but I’m ready for a change.”

Geist said it would be easier to transition into living in an apartment now than right after she graduates. Living near campus still offers the convenience of walking to class so she doesn’t have to worry about driving or parking.

“One less stress in my life,” she said.

Hallenbeck said the diversity, academic resources and sense of community provided by living on campus add to the college experience.

“You’re never as connected as you are when you live on campus,” Hallenbeck said. “It’s just that community feel – college is about that.”

Apartment-style residence halls can provide students the convenience of living on-campus with the amenities of an apartment. However, one common drawback Hallenbeck mentioned is the double room.

“Not having a roommate is a growing trend,” he said, citing non-community baths and single rooms as frequent requests.

Nicholson, who will return to her single room in Cockrell-McIntosh next year, said living on-campus without roommates makes it easier to handle early classes.

“It makes sense to live on-campus,” she said. “It’s just so convenient. Everything’s included.”

The only thing missing from her room is a kitchen, which she said is often unnecessary for college students.

“You’d probably be living off Ramen anyway,” Nicholson said.

As for that sense of community? Nicholson said it’s great for first-years their first semester.

“Once you get a little older, you’ve found your niche,” she said. “But if you want it, it’s there.”