Van Rooyen breaks 3000m record

By Nate Regan

Sports Editor

[email protected]

The women’s track & field team started this month off with a bang, finishing first in two events at the Arlington Invitational on April 2.

Senior Karin van Rooyen led SMU by breaking the 3000m school record with a time of 9:27.88.

The depth of the Mustang lineup was illustrated when sophomore Jessica Jackson (10:03.79), senior Nicole Kelleher (10:06.85), and freshmen Krystal Rodriguez (10:22.06) and Rachael Forish (10:30.70) finished Nos. 4 through 7 in the race.

Sophomore Andrea Kvetova, participating in her first event of the season, took first place in the javelin with a toss of 147 feet 4 inches (44.91m).

In addition, sophomore Alesha Stegemoller solidified a top three spot in the high jump with a leap of 5 feet 7 3/4 inches (1.72m).

Hoping to build on her already stellar SMU track & field career, van Rooyen traveled to Walnut, Calif. last weekend to compete in the Mt. SAC Relays.

At the Distance Carnival, which annually attracts the nation’s finest athletes to compete in a variety of races, the Ermelo, South Africa native was one of 41 women to lace up for the 10,000m run.

Van Rooyen didn’t let her status as a student among professionals affect her performance, as she sped past the 3200m mark at 10:37.

At the 5000m mark of the 25-lap race, time on the clock had just reached 16:40, and van Rooyen didn’t look back.

In just her second 10,000m race ever, she finished fifth overall with a personal best of 33:29, shaving 15 seconds off her old time. Placing second among all collegiate participants, van Rooyen’s time put her seventh in the nation.

“Karin did a great job considering we didn’t really back off for this competition,” said head coach John Rembao in a post-match press release.

“She should be able to run even faster at Nationals in the middle of June,” he continued. “For the rest of the season, she will run 5k’s and 1500’s and prepare for the 10k at the NCAA Championships.”

The Championships will begin June 8 in Sacramento, Calif., though the Mustangs still have more regular-season action to look forward to.

The team is currently preparing for the Texas Christian University Invitational, which will take place Saturday in Ft. Worth.