Astacio, Cordero shut out A’s, 3-0

Pedro Astacio (1-1, 1.64 ERA) pitched eight shutout innings Tuesday afternoon against the Oakland Athletics (7-7) en route to his first victory in a Rangers (7-8) uniform.

The hard-luck loser in a 2-1 Blue Jays win last Thursday, Astacio sped through the A’s lineup before 22,146 at Ameriquest Field in Arlington, though his afternoon did not lack some drama.

In the third, the Athletics put runners on first and third with one out, before third baseman Eric Chavez grounded into an inning-ending double play.

Designated hitter Erubiel Durazo led off the fourth inning with a looping single over the head of shortstop Michael Young. Trying to take second on the play, Durazo was tagged out by Mark DeRosa.

DeRosa got the start at second base after manager Buck Showalter decided to rest Alfonso Soriano and his bruised left knee, though Soriano was not thrilled with the decision.

“I’m ready to play and they give me the day off,” he said in an MLB.com interview. “I come to the ballpark with my mind 100-percent ready to play. It’s hard to change your mind.”

Despite the defensive changes behind him, Astacio was not fazed as he tossed four strikeouts while allowing just one walk, though he was not the only pitcher to gain recognition on the early-afternoon mound.

Oakland righty Joe Blanton (0-1, 2.04) was equally strong for the Athletics, pitching six innings of three-hit shutout baseball himself before being tagged for two runs in the seventh.

Veteran outfielders David Dellucci and Richard Hidalgo led off the frame with back-to-back singles, and each would come around to score via two fielders choices and an error by Gold Glover Chavez at third.

After retiring catcher Jason Kendall on a fly ball to left to end the eighth inning, Astacio walked off the mound to a standing ovation.

Francisco Cordero came on in relief and earned the save, striking out Durazo and first baseman Scott Hatteberg in the process. He earned his league-leading sixth save of the season.

Tonight, the team will be in Florida to battle the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (5-9). Right-hander Ryan Drese (1-1, 4.95) is slated to pitch against lefty Mark Hendrickson (0-1, 4.15) at 6:15 p.m. CST.