NHL lockout doesn’t stop CHL, AHL seasons

Even though the National Hockey League (NHL) is still in a lockout, hockey fans in North Texas still have some options to watch high-level hockey close to home.

Two Central Hockey League (CHL) teams call North Texas home-the Texas Brahmas and the Allen Americans. The CHL is a mid-tier professional hockey league (similar to American Association (AA) baseball), which means some teams have NHL affiliations.

The Allen Americans are one of those teams, as they are affiliated with the Dallas Stars.

The CHL season started this weekend.

In Frisco, Texas, the Texas Tornado season is in full swing. The Tornado play in the North American Hockey League, a junior-A hockey league with teams across the country. Junior-A hockey is the highest level of non-professional and non-collegiate hockey in the country. The team won the Robertson Cup last year as league champions.

A bit further away, one can find two American Hockey League teams. The AHL is the primary affiliate for the NHL, and with the NHL lockout, teams have sent their young players down to the AHL.

That means the league is abundant with NHL talent. The Texas Stars, who play in Cedar Park outside of Austin, Texas is the primary affiliate for the Dallas Stars.

Many of the Dallas Stars’ top prospects are on the squad this year, but so are some players who logged serious time on the big club last year, such as winger Tomas Vincour and defenseman Jordie Benn.

In Oklahoma City, the Barons are the primary affiliate for the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers are one of the youngest teams in the NHL, which has allowed them to assign several good players to the Barons.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the No. 1 overall pick from two years ago, will lead the Barons this year.

Last year, Nugent-Hopkins scored 52 points in 62 games as a rookie in the NHL. The Stars and the Barons will meet Oct. 28 in Oklahoma City and Nov. 21 in Cedar Park, Texas.