Summer Travels

Four SMU students share their new looks after spending time studying in London, Paris, NYC and Austr
London
Michael Danser/THE DAILY CAMPUS
London

London (Michael Danser/THE DAILY CAMPUS )

LONDON

| SMU Senior Rachael Mackin

The look: Topshop army green zipper jacket; gold statement collar; Topshop nude draped dress; Camilla Skovgaard London black cutout booties

Senior Rachael Mackin spent June and part of July this summer studying in London.

She describes the London look as a compilation of many different styles.

“Gothic punk is really in,” Mackin said. “But I came back with a lot of ultra feminine blouses in florals and pastels.”

Some other popular looks in the city Mackin spotted were “outerwear with strong shoulders paired with body-con skirts.”

Mackin says that despite the fact that the pound is expensive in comparison to the U.S. dollar, “the shopping is amazing there.”

Shopping was decently affordable at places like H&M and Topshop.

“They carry trendy clothing that is not as expensive as high-end designers and Topshop and H&M stores are all over London,” Mackin said.

NEW YORK CITY

| SMU Junior Rachael Borne

The look: Helmut Lang black draped jersey dress; Halston tan suede pumps; Tory Burch black gold studded bag

Junior Rachael Borne, who spent the summer interning in New York City, describes her city style as chic, yet easy to transition from day to night.

“I wear more vintage pieces since living in New York City, and I throw on heels more often,” Borne said. 

For the fall Borne has already invested in some 3.1 Phillip Lim lace-up booties that she said she hasn’t seen on any feet in Dallas yet!

AUSTRALIA

| SMU Senior Atlee Van Saun

The Look: Supre multi-colored print dress; Urban Soul tan leather heels; handmade silver and turquoise necklace; tan leather fringe bag.

Senior Atlee Van Saun describes Australian style as indie.

“They love florals, and they dress kind of like they’re in the eighties,” Van Saun said.

The senior, who studied abroad in Australia the spring of her junior year and part of the summer, says that the hot spot to shop is Op-Shops, the Australian version of The Goodwill and The Salvation Army.

She says the thrift store type of shopping in Australia has impacted her style now that she is back in the states.

“My style has changed because it made me shop in places like that and try to find cool second-hand pieces which I normally would not have looked at before,” Van Saun said.

PARIS

| SMU Senior Whitney Wolfe

The look: Sandro grey leather jacket; Balenciaga Paris bag; Maje-lace-up tan shoes; Chan Lu leather wrap bracelet. 

Senior Whitney Wolfe describes Paris style as classic and sophisticated, where “less is more.” 

“It’s about quality fabrics and looking chic,” Wolfe said.

Black or neutral colors are considered stylish in Paris. But, when it comes to color, Wolfe says, “Color splashes are acceptable, but colorful outfits are not.”

After spending her entire junior year and this past summer studying abroad in the city of lights, Wolfe admits her personal style has changed. 

“My style became a bit older, more reserved and classic,” Wolfe said.

The must-have look in Paris right now is “school boy shoes and leather jackets,” Wolfe said. 

New York City (Michael Danser/ THE DAILY CAMPUS )

Australia (Michael Danser/ THE DAILY CAMPUS)

Paris (Michael Danser/THE DAILY CAMPUS )