SMU women’s rowing finishes fourth over weekend

The SMU women’s rowing team competed in the San Diego Crew Classic this past weekend against some of the nation’s best rowing crews. The Classic boasted a lineup that featured every Pac-10 varsity team and seven other Division One teams from around the country.

Despite the stiff competition and large field, the Mustangs returned to Dallas with three sixth place finishes and an event high fourth place finish on Saturday. It only took SMU 7:04.06 to finish their Saturday race which was only 20 seconds behind fellow Conference USA foe and first place finisher Tulsa.

SMU’s second race Saturday, the varsity two qualifier, took the Mustangs 7:15.57 to cross the finish line to place sixth. The crew was able to improve their time in their third and final race on Saturday with a time of 7:11.43 which was also a sixth place finish.

Additionally the Women’s petite team finished the course Sunday morning with a time of 7:10.57.

The Women’s crew team will travel to Oak Ridge, Tenn. to compete in the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships on April 16-17.

The regatta will have teams from the SEC, ACC, C-USA and various other teams from southern conferences. Notable competitors will be Alabama, Duke, Georgia Tech and Texas.