Women end regular season on high note; men’s match cancelled due to weather

A season in turmoil at times, including a 1-3 start, the SMU women’s tennis team (12-9) has shown its true vigor with a 4-0 win in the regular season finale over the University of Texas at Arlington.

Coming into the competition, the Mustangs were ranked 52 in the nation behind the stellar play all year from senior members Aleksandra Malyarchikova and Edyta Cleplucha on senior day.

“Senior day is always very special,” head coach Kati Gyulai told SMU Athletics.

“We are extremely proud of the accomplishments of Sasha [Malyarchikova] and Edyta [Cieplucha]. They will leave our program as SMU graduates, as Conference USA Champions, NCAA Sweet 16 participants and in the top 10 for career singles and doubles wins. We congratulate them on a stellar career. They are Mustangs forever.”

Malyarchikova began the match with another dominant win in singles, defeating UTA’s Katar Dikosavljevic 6-0, and 6-1. It was the senior’s 22nd victory on the season and the 85th of her career.

The last regular season match of Malyarchikova’s places her sixth in wins at SMU to go along with the second best win percentage of all time with an astounding 85 percent in all singles.

Although Cleplucha was not in action for the match, she will end her regular season career tied for eighth in career victories and 10th in winning percentage (.694).

The rest of the singles matches went the Mustangs’ way, as Vaszilisza Bulgakova, Elena Fayner and Hristina Dishkova all came away with individual victories over their Maverick counterparts. Yana Erkeeva and Holly Verner were also in competition when the match was held off due to the inclement weather in the area.

While the men’s team prepared for UT Arlington, the match was cancelled after an hour delay, but they will resume work today as they host Trinity at 4 p.m.

The women are set to enter the Conference USA Championship’s first round on April 18, in Houston, where the team looks to send its leaders off with another Conference USA title.