Reality Check

Hazing allegations give school a bad name — not our reporting

After running the story about the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity’s suspension due to hazing allegations, e-mails poured into The Daily Campus both defending and decrying the allegations.

What struck Ed Board the most were those defending the Fijis. Yes, the hazing talk is just allegations, but we received more than one letter claiming that nothing was based on facts. They’re right.

Any reasons come to mind as to why the writer was unable to turn up hard facts? Greek organizations don’t talk — to anyone in a time of crisis. Unless, of course, they are forced to. The Daily Campus doesn’t have the leverage over fraternities the way the university does. So when it comes to talking who would you talk to? The organization that can kick you off campus or the organization that simply reports?

Here’s a quick word of advice: If a representative would talk to the media, the issue would be minimalized, but instead, nine times out of 10, journalists have to find out what’s really going on, making the organization look really bad for concealing the truth. It’s simple — be honest. It’s an aspect of crisis management 101, say something, but don’t say everything.

Just a reminder, the story included a more than credible source in Bill Martin, the international director of Phi Gamma Delta International headquarters. So just because the writer was unable to obtain the specific story of what actually happened due to silence, attempts were made.

Another letter that The Daily Campus received said that articles published about hazing tarnish SMU’s overall reputation and hurt enrollment. Simply put, that’s backward logic. If allegations of hazing had never come to surface, nothing would have been published. Never mind the fact that hazing harms the university and possibly enrollment. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Now that Ed Board’s gotten that off its chest, why don’t we discuss the larger issue at hand?

Ed Board cannot understand why people would subject themselves to cruel and unusual punishment just for the sake of brotherhood, tradition and all that other corn-fed bull. None of us believe that having our heads dipped in someone else’s urine or participating in the infamous “elephant walk” is going to make us better friends. Oh, and Ed Board hasn’t forgotten that people pay to undergo such treatment.

Calls to a pledge at 6 a.m. to come clean some brother’s room, late night demands for Whataburger and random calls for God knows what else are ridiculous. No one on Ed Board is a pushover.

This isn’t to say that some aspects of fraternities aren’t beneficial to advancing their members’ lives, Ed Board just wants to take a firm stance on the ridiculousness that is hazing.

In minor cases, people view it as fun and games, but the reality is that all too often, pledges end up in the hospital for a variety of reasons and worst-case scenario — dead.