Ponies beat St. Louis 2-1, Davidson 3-0

SMU women’s soccer dominated two home games this weekend, picking up wins over St. Louis and Davidson.

“I think the whole university should be proud of these girls,” Head Coach Brent Erwin said. “We played two good teams in St. Louis and Davidson and came away with two wins, so it was a good weekend for us.”

On Friday night, the Mustangs defeated the St. Louis Billikens 2-1 behind freshmen goal scorers Amanda Burgardt and Shelby Redman.

“I felt like we got a good performance tonight from a lot of the players,” Erwin said. “I’m glad to see Amanda and Shelby get their first goals; I think it’s important to get your first goals for a team.”

Burgardt got the team rolling early scoring in the 13th minute off a cross from fellow freshman Jessica Bartol.

Redman’s goal came later in the game as she scored the eventual game- winning goal in the 51st minute.

SMU tallied a season high 24 shots on the night and only allowed seven from St. Louis.

On Sunday afternoon the Mustangs breezed by the Davidson Wildcats 3-0. Despite the blowout win, Erwin was not all that happy with his team’s performance in the first half.

“Even though we scored two [goals] in the first half, I didn’t feel like we had the rhythm we normally do,” Erwin said. “In the second I thought we came out and played better. We imposed ourselves a little more and created more chances.”

Bartol opened the scoring up for SMU in the 26th minute with a goal from eight yards out.

Immediately following that goal senior midfielder Kristin Medeiros scored her first goal of the year, heading in a corner kick from fellow senior Lauren

Shepard to give the Mustangs a 2-0 lead going into halftime.

In the second half, Redman was able to add her second goal of the season when she scored an amazing shot from 30 yards out, giving the Mustangs a permanent 3-0 lead.

SMU will host No. 20 Oklahoma State Friday at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field.