Tort Reform Hits D.C.

House and Senate should take action to reduce frivolous lawsuits

“Have you taken diet medications? You may be eligible to receive CASH!”

Advertisements like the one above can be found throughout the internet, as well as in many newspapers and magazines.

The advertiser, generally a law firm, is looking for plaintiffs to take part in a class-action lawsuit.

A class-action lawsuit is one in which many people get together and sue a company or institution.

They do this in order to cut down on costs. However, lawyers like class-action lawsuits because they are able to get a large sum from one case.

Just by threatening a class-action suit, lawyers often win quick, easy settlements, often making more money for themselves than the victims they’re representing.

This may change though, if President Bush and Republicans in congress get their way.

“Justice is distorted, and our economy is held back by irresponsible class actions,” Bush said during his State of the Union address last week.

In an effort to combat this, the Senate is voting this week on a bill designed to limit the amount lawyers can charge, as well as preventing cases from being moved to courts where they would receive special treatment.

Ed Board heartily approves. This nation is far too sue-happy. Remember the woman who sued McDonald’s when she spilled coffee on herself?

If this bill can keep lawyers from making so much money off of these kinds of cases, then they will likely stop bringing so many of them to court.

Class-action lawsuits are a major waste of time, and although there have been a few successes, such as the multi-billion dollar rulings against big tobacco, in many cases victims receive little compensation.

Marty Preston of Wisconsin Dells, Wis., recalled finding herself a plaintiff in a class-action suit accusing BancBoston of holding too much of their customers’ money in escrow.

The suit was settled and Preston said her share of the settlement was a little more than $4, but the lawyers handling the case shared $8 million in fees, including $80 taken from her escrow account to pay them.

Ed Board finally has an opportunity to congratulate Bush. Limiting class-action lawsuits was one of his priorities for this term.

We can only hope that the bill is passed in the Senate this week and in the House next week.