Mustang Marathon concert at Gilley’s headlined by Morrow

Ticket sales to benefit pediatric AIDS

Mustang Marathon is hosting a country music concert tonight benefiting pediatric AIDS patients. Artists Cory Morrow and SMU sophomore Brittany Wells will perform at Gilley’s in downtown Dallas. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the show will start at 10:30 p.m.

Mustang Marathon Fundraising Chair Ashley Claire Earnest said: “We want people of all aspects to attend. This event is giving different students from SMU a chance to have fun while supporting a good cause.”

Gilley’s will offer concessions and has a mechanical riding bull for the purpose of side show entertainment. Tickets for the concert are $15 at the Mane Desk until 6 p.m., and ticket sales will resume at Gilley’s, but the price will rise to $20.

Mustang Marathon is expecting a high turn out. Members set up booths this week to promote the concert and gave out cowboy hats, Mardi Gras beads, bandanas and refreshments to help promote the event and raise awareness for pediatric AIDS.

The organization’s main function is to support children who are infected with the virus or are in some way affected by AIDS. This year, the annual 24-hour dance marathon party is from 7 p.m., Feb. 25 until 7 a.m., Feb. 26.

The proceeds from the concert will go directly to Mustang Marathon and all donations will benefit Bryan’s House and the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

Bryan’s House helps to support children up to age 18 who have AIDS or who lives are affected by AIDS.

The Elizabeth Glaser Foundation is a national charity set up specifically for pediatric AIDS.

“We’re really excited because this is the first time that we have done an event off campus that is big,” Earnest said. Mustang Marathon coordinated with Program Council to set up the performances at Gilley’s.

“I’m very excited and I think it will be fun to have SMU students there to support Cory and I. There is a lot of variety in the music I will be performing,” Wells said. “There will be some blues, contemporary and older country music and some pop music. Everybody will be able to find some type of music they like in the show.”

If you are interested in the efforts of Mustang Marathon please visit the organization’s website at www.mustangmarathon.com.