Men and Women’s Tennis take home victories over spring break

SMU men’s tennis won their fourth match this season after a 5-2 victory over Radford at the Samuell Grand Center, Tuesday afternoon. The Mustangs have won four of their past six matches.

“The team came out with a lot of energy,” Carl Neufeld, Head Coach, said. “We played a good match. We’re glad we won.”

Nate Lammons, freshman, and Arturs Kazijevs dominated in singles winning five straight matches. Another singles highlight was in the first set, Pablo Perez-Esnaola came back from a 4-6 loss to win the first set in three.

“I’m very pleased for Pablo, he had a big breakthrough today,” Neufeld said.

In doubles Kazijevs and Mischa Nowicki worked together for an 8-3 victory over Radford’s Thomas Dehaen and Nicholas Sayer.

The Mustangs will take on No. 34 Columbia at home this Tuesday.

In women’s tennis the Mustangs earned a 5-2 win over Santa Clara, last Wednesday.

In doubles, the Mustangs won with a pair of 9-8 victories and then three set wins in singles.

“We showed incredible toughness today when it really mattered,” Kati Gyulai, head coach, said. “Santa Clara came out strong and took early leads in the matches. We competed and problem-solved well. Great win! We are pleased with the outcome.”

Highlights in singles include Aleksandra Malyarchikova taking the victory over No. 32 Katie Le, 6-2; 7-6 at the No. 1 spot. In the No. 2 match, No. 111 Edyta Cieplucha came out with a 6-2, 6-4 victory for the Mustangs.

The Mustangs host Columbia this Thursday at 4 p.m.