Mustangs defeat Houston, 70-54

Taylor Martin/ The Daily Campus
Senior forward Robert Nyakundi scans the court for an opening during Wednesday evening’s match against Houston in Moody Coliseum.

Senior forward Robert Nyakundi scans the court for an opening during Wednesday evening’s match against Houston in Moody Coliseum. (Taylor Martin/ The Daily Campus)

A little over eight minutes remained in Wednesday nights men’s basketball game against Houston when the score was 53-44.

Houston’s Joseph Young hit a three pointer making the score 53-47 but SMU continued with 10 unanswered points.

Houston was not able to get closer than 11 points the rest of the game giving SMU a 70-54 victory over Conference USA rivals, Houston.

SMU’s London Giles tied a career-high five three-pointers and scored 16 points. Robert Nyakundi added another 15 points while Shawn Williams and Jalen Jones both put up 11 points each.

SMU will travel to Memphis on Saturday for a scheduled noon tipoff against the Tigers.

The Mustangs are currently 2-2 in league play, which ties the best start to a season since joining C-USA in 2006.