SMU alumna’s trendy flea market thrives after one year in business

This Saturday SMU alumna Brittany Edwards Cobb will celebrate the one year anniversary of The Dallas Flea. Cobb, the Dallas Editor for DailyCandy.com and a contributor for Lucky Magazine and The Dallas Morning News, created the chic flea market a year ago to help bring the Dallas community together in an effort to support local artisans. 

“Dallas has welcomed the Flea with open arms,” Cobb said. “Shoppers seem to love the mix of products, price points and supporting local talents.”

The trendy flea market features more than 60 artisans selling everything from vintage clothing and handmade stationary, to one-of-a-kind furniture and home accessories. 

Saturday will be Cobb’s fifth flea market over the past year, and for the occasion the entrepreneur is hosting a slew of new vendors, including Dallas based creative-types like House of Introspection, Kate Reed Designs and Urban Cottage Dallas. 

Cobb’s retail recommendations for the savvy SMU shopper are Amber Venz, SMU grad with killer costume jewelry; Arteriors Too, with groovy lamps at wholesale prices perfect for dressing up some first digs; Jarma, former SMU student with great vintage clothing and fashion accessories;  Southern Fried Paper, with hip paper goods – including her smart greeting cards like “I love you more than Diet Coke”;  and Uptown Country Home, an edited mix of shabby chic home furnishings from SMU grad Jenny Grumble’s Snider Plaza store.

The event is Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Southside of Lamar, 1409 S. Lamar Street. Parking is free and admission is $5. Bring individually packaged applesauce or fruit cups to support local charity Hunger Busters and receive $1 off admission.