Mustang soccer kicks off fall season

The fourth annual Jordan Mann Alumni soccer game will be held Saturday, Aug. 21 at 7 p.m. at the Westcott field. The game is an opportunity for current SMU soccer players to reconnect and meet former SMU students who played on the men’s team.

Following the game will be a social, which will give allow alumni to mingle with the current soccer team as well as other SMU students who would like to attend. 

The soccer game honors the life of Jordan Mann, a 2007 graduate who passed away in his sleep due to a brain aneurysm. 

Mann majored in business finance and was a well-respected soccer player, contributing to the team’s national ranking. In 2005, he played in the Final Four Tournament, and was also selected for the Southern Conference and the Conference USA Honor Rolls. 

Mann grew up in Prairie Village, Kansas. While in high school, he was named to the All-State, All-Metro, All-Sunflower League, All-Sun Country and All-Johnson County first team soccer teams. During his senior year, he was awarded with the Art Newcomer Award, which was for outstanding student athletes at Shawnee Mission East High School.

Before the alumni game, the men’s soccer team will kick off their pre-season at 5 p.m. against Houston Baptist. The official season begins Sept. 1 against Missouri State at 7 p.m. 

The women’s soccer team begins its season Aug. 20. The day before the men’s soccer team is scheduled to play, the women’s soccer team will be playing against Florida International University. 

Students should look out for newcomers on the team such as Jessica Bartol, Amanda Burgardt, and Courtney Smith. 

Bartol was recently named IMG Soccer Academy’s Player of the Year and has trained with a national team. nal Team this year and has played in Olympic Development tournaments around the world.