Dedman Center offers drop-in fitness

The holiday spirit is often followed by holiday weight.

Conveniently, the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports is offering 20 group exercise classes this semester – unlimited and free of charge.

“This is what we are calling our final ‘hoorah’ in the old Dedman Center,” Brook Dabbs, fitness coordinator in the department for recreational sports, said. The new facility is expected to open in September.

Open to students, faculty and staff, the classes range from mind and body, cardiovascular and muscular endurance. All instructors have completed exhaustive training and are certified in their respective fields. New classes this semester include Pilates Mat, Jogging and Conditioning, Summer Abs and Gumby Girls. See the complete list of classes and descriptions below. The class schedule is available at www.smu.edu/recsports/dedman_center_schedule.htm.

Dabbs also plans to launch a 10-week group exercise instructor-in-training course in late February. The program teaches students basic knowledge in exercise physiology, anatomy, kinesiology, nutrition and biomechanics and prepares them to lead traditional fitness classes.

“Upon completion of this course, students will have the knowledge needed to pass the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America Primary Group Exercise Instructor certification test,” Dabbs said. “Once a student has obtained this certification, he or she can audition to become a fitness instructor for the group exercise program here at SMU.”

For more information, contact Dabbs at 8-4824 or visit http://www.smu.edu/recsports.

What SMU offers

For complete descriptions, visit http://www.smu.edu/recsports/dedman_center_CLASSDESCRIPTION.htm.

This semester’s classes include:

*Pilates Mat: Based on the teachings of Joseph Pilates, this mat class focuses on flexibility and strength for the entire body, most specifically deep core muscles.

*Hatha Yoga: Learn the fundamentals of Hatha, or physical, Yoga, practicing a variety of postures to stretch, strengthen and relax the body.

*Power Yoga: A strong form of Ashtanga Yoga focusing on muscular endurance & flexibility.

*Body Sculpt: This class is designed primarily to increase muscular endurance through series of light weight/high-repetition sequences.

*Bootcamp: An all-inclusive strength and cardio workout: sprints, crunches, push-ups, lunges, squats, impact drills, shuffles, jumping jacks and other athletic intervals.

*Gumby Girls: Strictly stretching, this class is focused on increasing muscle elasticity and flexibility.

*Jogging and Conditioning: A 10-mile, Saturday morning trip around White Rock Lake.

*Kickboxing: Punches and kicks that increase the heart rate and strengthen abs, shoulders, glutes and quads.

*Summer Abs: 15 minutes to strengthen the midsection.

*Step Aerobics: This class teaches fundamental step moves from which more complicated choreography stems.

Calories in, calories out

Healthy tips from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005, endorsed by Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy G. Thompson:

* To maintain body weight in a healthy range, balance calories from foods and beverages with calories expended.

*Engage in regular physical activity and reduce sedentary activities to promote health, psychological well-being and a healthy body weight.

*Achieve physical fitness by including cardiovascular conditioning, stretching exercises for flexibility and resistance exercises or calisthenics for muscle strength and endurance.

*Consume a variety of nutrient-dense foods and beverages within and among the basic food groups while choosing foods that limit the intake of saturated and trans fats, cholesterol, added sugars, salt and alcohol.

*Consume a sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables while staying within energy needs. Two cups of fruit and two cups of vegetables per day are recommended for a reference 2,000-calorie intake, with higher or lower amounts depending on the calorie level.

*Consume three or more ounce-equivalents of whole-grain products per day, with the rest of the recommended grains coming from enriched or whole-grain products. In general, at least half the grains should come from whole grains.

*Consume three cups per day of fat-free or low-fat milk or equivalent milk products.

*Consume less than ten percent of calories from saturated fatty acids and less than 300 mg/day of cholesterol, and keep trans fatty acid consumption as low as possible.

*Keep total fat intake between 20 to 35 percent of calories, with most fats coming from sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, such as fish, nuts and vegetable oils.

*Choose fiber-rich fruits, vegetables and whole grains often.

*Choose and prepare foods and beverages with little added sugars or caloric sweeteners.

*Consume less than 2,300 mg (approximately 1 teaspoon of salt) of sodium per day.

*Those who choose to drink alcoholic beverages should do so sensibly and in moderation – defined as the consumption of up to one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men.

For more information, visit: http://www.hhs.gov/

More than shedding pounds

Fitness Coordinator Brook Dabbs mentioned several noteworthy benefits of sustained, aerobic exercise, all backed by the American College of Sports Medicine:

*Increased life expectancy

*Reduced risk of premature heart attack and stroke

*Lower resting arterial blood pressure

*Improved blood lipid profile – specifically, decreased ‘bad’ cholesterol and increased ‘good’ cholesterol

*Decreased body weight and body fat

*Modest improvement in bone density

*Improved control of blood glucose

*Improved psychological and social well-being